Wednesday, November 21, 2007

It was bound to happen...

It's 6:40 am on my day off. I should be an hour up the road towards Washington, but I'm not. Instead I'm sitting in my kitchen with an ice pack on my knee and a crushed car in my driveway.

Sometimes John and I should just know better then to think we're over a hump and that maybe life is going to hand us something good for once. We really should just start introducing ourselves as Mr. and Mrs. Crap-Magnet.
We were on our way home from work yesterday ready to start the real trip preparations, discussing john going to school and how excited we were to be going. When BAM! we were smacked from behind smashing us into the car in front of us.
Now the real kicker to this story is that just a few miles earlier we had passed the idiot who hit us because he was swerving like mad doing everything in his car except driving. He was putting on or taking off his jacket, he had papers in his hand one moment and a phone in his hand the next. And here John passed him in hopes of getting a few cars ahead of him and avoiding his stupidity.
Well we were wrong. His stupidity rammed into us at about 50 miles per hour while we were at a dead stop waiting for the meter light at the I-15 on ramp at Beck Street in North Salt Lake. It happens as all car accidents do out of the blue.
The man hit us hard enough that even though I was wearing a seat belt I flew out of my seat and hit the dashboard with my left knee, and my glasses flew off of my face and everything in my lap flew across the car. I was so pissed. I started swearing and hitting things and I kicked the dashboard a few times. The guy who hit us was very worried that something was terribly wrong. but I was just REALLY ANGRY.
We were there from 3:50 pm until 5:00 pm filling out police reports and causing traffic jams. Beck Street was backed up and that caused I-15 to become a nightmare as well. If you were stuck in that yesterday I'm really sorry. I hear that we were on the traffic link camera and everything.
We were able to drive the car home. John was complaining about back pain (and with his back surgery last year that's not something we take lightly), and my knee was alternating between burning pain and throbbing pain so we had John's mom meet us at our house and we took a family outing to Instacare to get checked out.
We each got six X-rays and our very own prescriptions for muscle relaxers and pain killers. But the X-rays were clean and we're just really going to hurt for the next 4-6 weeks. We finally got home at 9:00 pm.
In the midst of all this I had to call the oldest sister and tell her I wasn't coming for thanksgiving anymore.
In the end, the fellow who hit us has insurance so this isn't going to come out of my pocket. I don't know if our car is fixable, it doesn't look half as bad as the accident made it seem. The hood is smashed pretty good and the bumpers are scratched up. The front bumper has a few holes in and I lost the logo off the hood.... at least that's what I saw last night. I haven't had a chance to look at it in the daylight yet. I'll provide pictures later. So there you have it. My side of the story.
John had an interesting run in with the cop who was accusing us of causing the whole thing because the physical evidence didn't match up, but that's John's story to tell if he wants to.

The good news: It wasn't our fault.
The bad news: I now have to rewrite my Christmas letter because it talks about my car and my thanksgiving trip.

That is all for now, I'm going back to bed.

4 comments:

purplesandel said...

I'm sorry! Do you have a sign on the back of your car that says "Hit me" ? I'm glad your guys weren't hurt too bad- I mean, if you can walk away from a car accident that is a good thing. If we lived closer, I would have you both over for Thanksgiving, as it is- we are too far away from everyone and will have a small Thanksgiving with just our little family.
Hope you both heal quickly!
~Carrie

Anonymous said...

deep thoughts:

What is the difference between divine intervention and fate? I thought that fate was bound to happen, God's plan, etc. Which wouldn't divine intervention be the same? Or are you considering divine intervention to be a punishment from God?

Thank goodness the guy had insurance and I'm really glad you guys are ok!!! That sucks really bad though. Plus I don't even know what to say about your car! Hopefully his insurance will get you a rental car in the meantime. I can't believe you got hit at 50mph!!

Unknown said...

Hi Scrat2k -
Here is my answer....
Divine Intervention is God says you need to learn something so he gives you trials.
Fate is where it's bound to happen no matter what you do.

FYI - We have a rental car... er... Truck. It's a big red 2008 Dodge Dakota. It was the only thing they had at the lot.

Anonymous said...

Awe Geese, I am so sorry guys. I am thankful that you are not too banged up, and I will have you as friends longer. I don't think have "crap magnet" attached to you. Maybe just a regular magnet that attracts autos. If there is anything we can do for you please let us know. Love ya, Me