Friday, October 19, 2007

It's a Go

I have finally started my quilt. I found a pattern that doesn't look to terribly hard so I'm going to try it and see where I get.
To get a 9 1/2" Unfinished square each block requires 5 - 4"x4" of each color. and then you sew them all together to come up with a beautiful block (or a kitchen full of discarded fabric and the air full of colorful words). I had thought that I could start today but I realized that I have no thread. I bought materials, a sewing machine, a roller, a cutting board, and a ruler, but no thread. Sigh. I guess it's back to the store tomorrow. I started cutting 4"x4" squares. Do you know how hard that is to do after a nebulizer treatment?? I was shaking so badly that I know there are one or two crooked squares, but not crooked enough to cause a problem. Good thing there is a 1/4" seam to cover the issues. I think all in all I cut 4o 4" squares of 3 different fabrics. That's a pretty good start.
I have quite a variety of fabrics and I think they all go together pretty well. I had thought that I might want some black or red, but maybe I'll choose one of them for a backing to the finished quilt. I'm very excited to do this, it's been a long time since I made anything.
My sisters once tried to convince me to do cross stitching "it's so relaxing" they'd say, but more often then not I'd lose all patience with what I was doing and it would get flung across the room or onto the floor and never be finished. I also tried Tatting, Embroidery, Crocheting and I think I even Knitted once. This is defiantly going to be a trial, but I have spent soooo much money on fabric this had better work or I'm going to be very disgusted.
All scraps have been taken over by the kitties. I think these are the most expensive cat toys.

No comments: