Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Memories...

It’s funny how you can hear something and it reminds you of some other time in your life. I was sitting at my desk today quietly working away when some one walked by playing “Turkey in the Straw” on their kazoo (yes a kazoo at work) and it reminded me of when I worked at Lagoon with my sister and a common song that was played on Turn of the Century and the Merry-Go-Round. All the time this sister of mine would get this song stuck in her head and she would end up singing it all day, or we would ride the Turn of the Century over and over again to that song. She says she doesn’t remember it, but I do.
But then I think of this sister and it reminds me of other songs, like “Pop Goes the Weasel” when for the last “pop” of the song I’d get a rap on the head. Or how we, for the longest time would go to sleep listening to music and somehow she always picked the CD (that was okay though because we used to like the same music) There was a long time where we would fall asleep listening to Lisa Loeb and I always remember two specific songs one was Sandalwood “your skin smells lovely like sandalwood, your hair falls soft like animals...” and Hurricane “skeleton boy by the side of the road he warned me, he told me he said: There's this woman, she's a hurricane...” blah blah blah. All good songs. And then after a while my sister reminded me of Lisa Loeb. Funny how that turned out. We used to say that Lisa Loeb and Chris Isaak were two of the saddest people in the world and maybe if they got together they could come up with some happy songs.
And then there was this idea we had once where we would have our own band and together we would be “The Screaming Tadpoles”!! I played the tambourine. I think she had the keyboard and then a few of our random friends filled in with a stand-up bass and a saxophone. I had a picture of our band that she drew for me once. I wonder if I still have it. We had this hit song that we worked on for years except for the fact that we never wrote down any of the words. It was called “Step On Me (You Know What I Like)”.
It was kind of dedicated to all those jerks in the world that just step on others to get where they want. Yeah, we were kind of bitter.

1 comment:

z said...

With all the great music-trips down memory lane, for some reason all I could think of is how late at night I would say to myself, "I wish I may, I wish I might, Have the dreams I wish tonight" and I would close my eyes and then all I could see..........Oh no Dirty Diapers!!!
Goodtimes.....If you dont remember that then your missing out!!!