Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Linchy kinchee koly moly dingo dingo

Fond Memories indeed.

My middle sister and I were reminiscing about scary stories today since it is of course Halloween. There is a favorite book that we read frequently as children. I don’t remember if we actually owned this book, or if it was one of our library favorites. The oldest sister used to read these stories to us. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark this book is awesome. I have memorized several poems from this little ditty and fondly remember many of the stories Like the Big Toe, The Wendigo, “May I Carry Your Basket?”, and Me Tie Dough-ty Walker.... they were all good.

There are certain phrases that bring creeps to my skin and “Linchy kinchee koly moly dingo dingo” is one of them.

Once when I was a kid, me and my middle sister and her best friend would sit in the little green gremlin in the driveway and tell each other ghost stories. The Lady with the Ribbon Around Her Neck, High Beams, The Hook... and we scared ourselves so badly that we couldn’t get out of the car for fear that there would be a hook on the door.

After the Halloween at the White house the other night we were pulling away from our parking spot when there was a thunk on the car – I checked my mirrors for hooks on the door handles.

Funny that I love horror, I love horror movies and scary stories and books about ghosts, but really just under the surface I’m scared to death of a lot of things.

Did you know that I hear footsteps behind me in the dark?
I can’t sleep in a room with an open closet
I will not watch movies involving EVP
I will not watch or read anything regarding the story of Bloody Mary
I am terrified of mirrors in dark rooms
And in the dark if I hear a thump on my car I check for hooks
If someone shines their high beams I worry there is a murderer in my backseat
I’m frightened to be home alone
I’m scared of my parents house at night

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I remember that book well. It was really popular during our school’s book fair that year. There was also a sequel.

One of our teachers read us “Me Tie Dough-ty Walker” during class, and one of the kids fell off his chair at the end, but most of us thought he was just overacting.