Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Bowling anyone?

Some times it seems that all my memories are seen through a very frosty window and periodically I rub a spot clean to get a glimpse of what was, only to have the spot frost over again before I know it.

What is the cause for this memory loss? I'm sure there are lots of different explanations but the more fun version of my memory loss is this:

I don't really recall how old I was but I do remember that it was Halloween. The oldest of my sisters decided to turn the girls bedroom into a haunted house. She put the two younger sisters in the living room and told us to stay there and not to go into the bed room until she was ready.

Well we all have learned that if you tell Liz she can't do something that is exactly what she'll do. So on one of the oldest sister's trips from the bedroom I snuck in and hid under the blankets on her bed. I laid very flat and very still and imagined that no one could see me under the blankets...

And apparently it worked rather well because the oldest sister came back into the room and THUNK! dropped a bowling ball right on my poor head. I don't remember much of what happened after that point, but once in a while I remember the sickening sound of the ball hitting my head. She was going to use it as her "crystal ball" and tell our fortunes with it, but the trauma of it all ruined the fun and she never did get to finish her haunted house. I even remember the bowling ball that was used, I believe it was the red and black swirl one...

If you were to ask my mother she would tell you that this never happened, but if you ask me or the oldest of sisters we both remember it. And I'm sure she remembers it better then I do, after all, dropping a bowling ball on your favorite baby sister's head has to be a very memorable experience.

Apparently my head is a target for hard objects ... bowling balls, cars, the ground, cupboards, rocks, elbows .. . but those are all stories for another time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sucks! Soccer balls were attracted to my head, thank goodness they're softer than bowling balls!!!

Unknown said...

every real injury I had as a child originated from my sisters:

Cutting my bottom lip open (i have a great scar).
Having a bowling ball dropped on my head.
Flying out of the tire swing.
Having scissors thrown at me.

If you ask the oldest she'll just tell you that it was all because I never listen, but I don't believe that.

M.O.M. said...

Let's be honest now should we?? Stay out... hold still... are usually only words that are used when they are meant to be followed. Maybe we should have had your little cute ears checked somewhere along the line since you NEVER listened to what you were told.