Tuesday, December 11, 2007

almost 2 whole days without a post....

Apparently I ran out of things to say this weekend. . . but I'm back now.
 
it snowed this past weekend. It took me and John 2 hours to get home from Salt Lake at 10 pm last Friday, and even though a large part of my mind was on getting home alive I was enjoying watching the snow fall around me and how pretty it is when it falls into the headlights, and it reminded me of a story -
 
Many of you may remember my friend Carrie Higley, in fact you may actually be Carrie Higley. But if you aren't her and you don't remember her then here is a quick description...
 
Carrie magically appeared when the school district changed boundaries when I was in fourth grade, bringing all those rich snotty from east Kaysville and some poor cowpoke in from west Kaysville. like that one kid that always smelled of manure ... Aaron something... I don't remember... well over the years the rich kids from the east side just got snottier, but the kids from the west side became some of my really good friends. Carrie was among the west side kids. Though she wasn't really a "cowpoke" she lived among the farms. Her parents owned a shop in downtown Kaysville Called "Con Higley Construction" and "The Academy of Fine Art." That building doesn't exist anymore by-the-way. She usually rode the bus home from school, but there were at least 3 days a week when we would walk home together during junior high and high school.
 
In fourth grade Carrie was a skinny little girl with mousey blonde hair and a mouth that was too big for her face, she did grow into her mouth though, it's not quite as big as it used to be, and she has the most perfect nose. It is a cute little ski slope nose all covered in freckles that I still admire to this day. She used to get really self conscious when I'd tell her how cute her nose was and she would blush and try to hide it, but a nose is not really something that you can cover up. :-0 To me Carrie was my "Anne Shirley" a gangly youth that grew up to be smart and pretty, and we all know that we were constantly on the lookout for our "Gilbert Blithe" to come along.  
 
Carrie, do you realize that it has been 20 years! Doesn't that make you feel old!?
 
Anyway, when we were finally old enough to drive we would periodically be going somewhere (most likely a choir concert) together, and on one random dark night while driving together in the snow Carrie tried to say that she liked driving in the snow at night because it made the snow flakes look like stars... well what actually came out of her mouth was that she liked driving in the snow at night because it made the snow flakes look like "Snars." What a lovely combination of snow and stars Snars. So now every time I am driving through a snowstorm in the dark I giggle to myself because the snars really are so pretty.
 
Do you remember your old brown beater car. That car was awesome. especially when it would die in front of my house and I'd get to drive it to school the next day. :)
 
So that's my story - I love driving in the dark and looking at the snars.
 
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahhahaha!!!!! :) yeah, I miss the snars. Out here in Arkansas it doesn't snow too much- maybe once a year, and when it does snow nobody goes anywhere. I loved my ugly brown car with the green oragami swan that you made hanging from my mirror.
I've known you for 20 yrs?!? wow! that is a long time! And I just want to say that everyone looks awkward in Jr. high...but I think I could top them all! HAHHAH!
~Carrie