Monday, July 28, 2008

Patience is a virtue....

I can't even begin to say how many times I have been asked this question this morning like I am the guru of this particular genre.... but here it is for the rest of you who have not asked me yet today:

X-Files: I Want To Believe


Don't read the reviews of this movie. Don't listen to other's slam it or degrade it as something not worthy of your attention. Go see it because you WANT to because you're FAN of the X-Files. This movie is not Batman or Star Wars or Indiana Jones for petes sake. It's the X-Files!
First off it's a stand alone story. There is no link to the on going plot line of abductions, little sisters, alien babies or the Smoking Man. It's just it's own movie, don't look for connections.
Mulder is brought in on a case by the FBI regarding a psychic in a case involving an agent they grant him immunity if he helps them but he will only help if Scully comes along too.
There is some heart breaking moments, some gore, some crazies, some needles, some scalpels and a 2 headed dog...
But all in all, I enjoyed the movie. I was happy to see Mulder and Scully working together again and being together. I was happy for the brief appearance of one of my other favorite characters. I was enthralled and stretched by the topic of the movie.
I think that perhaps if it wasn't up against movies like The Dark Knight and the other summer blockbusters it would have done so much better then the $10.2 Million it brought in at the box office this weekend. I also think a little more advertising could have helped too.
Don't hold your hopes up for a thrilling, exploding, adventure extravaganza because this movie is not it. It's plain and simple. It's the X-Files.

"Don't Give Up"

1 comment:

Jessica Pears said...

your response is very simialr to Toby's. I also liked the movie for a lot of reasons, especially the "favorite character" you mentioned...I think he's kind of cute. :)