Wednesday, July 30, 2008

How long did it take to get home?

First I want to give a big shout out to Rocky Anderson and his collation of damn hippies that delayed the Legacy parkway for, oh, I don't know ... 12 YEARS!! Had it been started back in 1996 when it was proposed ...  or even back in 2002 when they started all that ridiculous work on it in Farmington before being stopped by lawsuits then 21,000 people wouldn't have been sitting on the freeway for 4 + hours last night. ARGH!!
 
I get off at 3:30. If all goes well, I pick up John at 3:45 and we're home by 4:30 at the latest.
 
Yesterday all was going as usual when we hit Beck Street at 3:50 all traffic was stopped. It took nearly 20 minutes to get through the light at Capital Hill and we turned thinking Redwood Road would be better so we backtracked and ended up on Redwood road for another HOUR!
 
Nice that it was still before 4:09 and that idiot Sean Hannity was still rambling on about nothing when you'd think that KSL could break in for LOCAL TRAFFIC EMERGENCIES!
 
Turns out that a couple of semis dumped their cargo - a 210,000 pound storage tank - on the freeway just where I-215 and I-15 merger on the northbound side of the freeway. Thus causing they to CLOSE I-215 and divert people on to Redwood Road, I-15 was down to one lane and eventually they even closed Beck Street and forced everyone off on to Hwy 89. So ALL roads in to Davis County were successfully closed off trapping everyone in SLC.
 
After that first hour and 20 minutes we were no farther then we were when we started on Beck Street ...  in fact we were further back because I turned off at 700 N to go back into town and find food. 
 
Dinner sounded like a good option because we were both tired and cranky and food seemed to be the remedy. So we went to The Ruby River Steak House. I had a 8oz Sirloin with a deep-fried Yam with cinnamon... mmmm. So it wasn't a quick dinner it probably took us another hour and a half to eat and then we decided that we'd try one more time to get home. when we left the restaurant it was coming up on 6:15.
 
We entered the freeway at 400 S this time and immediately moved into the left lane because that was the one that was open and it took us another hour to get to the North Interchange to see the gigantic tank that was taking up most of the road. We passed the thing at 7:20 and once past it the freeway was clear and empty and it took us 16 more minutes to get home from there.
 
It's so frustrating! I wish that I had a job that was convenient to public transportation (specifically the Front-Runner after yesterday) so I wouldn't have to drive into salt lake every day.... or better yet, I wish I could just stay home. But neither are options at this point in time so I suffer with the rest of the Dais County residents who can't get home from work at decent hours.
 
 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can park your car at the Salt Lake hub and ride the train home. That's what Norm did last night. I'm sure someone can pick you up once you get to Layton. There were a lot of people doing that last night. Just remember for next time.

Rebecca

Becky said...

Jacob called at 6 and was going to just hang out, I decided to take the kids into town so that we could all have dinner as a family. We went to Deseret Edge and walked around Pottery Barn Kids. At about 8:30 I got on the freeway to head home and I got to Centerville at 9:30. And for some odd reason none of the kids fell asleep in the car, it was crazy. It was after we got home that I realized Jacob could have just parked his car at the train station and I could have picked him up in Farmington, next time we will do that.

Anonymous said...

Holy crap! Traffic makes me insane as it is. It's no wonder there is so much road rage these days. Although...you can't have too much road rage if NO ONE is moving!

Ker said...

I'm so sorry you got stuck in all that. Thank goodness Legacy opens in the fall..i agree with your frustration though. Tell Rocky to keep his nose in his own county! Or put him out on the freeway when it's like that and see how he likes it!!

Loran said...

I take it you have never tried to drive the 101 or 10 freeways in L.A., where it is normal for it to take up to 2 hours to go 10 miles. Gosh, I miss the traffic in california.

Lindsay said...

I think my favorite part of this post was probably the bit about the "damn hippies." I'm sorry that it took so long for you and John to get home from work. The accident was a good thing for me because I was able to get home in less than fifteen minutes as opposed to the 30-40 it usually takes. Sorry, again.