Thursday, March 13, 2008

when faced with mortality

It's raining today.

It's unfair to me how life just seems to be picking up again and we look towards the future with a brighter shade of gray then usual and then suddenly trials abound.

My Michelle passed away last night. She was a mother of two and not to much older then me.

It makes me think. I need to tell people "I love you" more often and be more open and loving to the world around me. I need to reorganize my priorities and not stress over the little things in life. You never know, I could die tomorrow. For a while there we had an untimely funeral to attend for a cousin and friends every 6 months. We took a year off and the cycle starts again. I have learned something from each of them:

Ryan McIntyre 9/26/2005 - Appreciate Family more
Jan Callahan 1/30/2006 - Let your friends know you care
Chad Ashby 8/16/2006 - Call those friends you haven't heard from in a while

Michelle Huppi Young 3/12/08 - Always, Always say I love you. And respond today, because they may not be there tomorrow

These deaths have all been hard for me to deal with, but Michelle is on a different level completely. She and I were kindred spirits. She is the one who saved my mission for me, without her I would have given up completely and just gone home before it even started. She is the companion I had the most fun with and was the most off-the-plan with. We spent our time teaching the gospel and checking out historic Fredericksburg. She loved cemeteries and ghosts. When she met her husband she told me that she loved him more then ice cream, and to Michelle, that meant a lot. She is the one I cried with when her younger brother died, and the one I sought to comfort but she comforted me instead. She is a rock. We listened to off-the-plan music. She got tattoos and piercing on P-Days and fraternized with the Elders, but still set an example of what a good missionary could do. I loved that about her. She is one of my best friends.

I am feeling very mortal today.

Life is precious.

This song has played several times on my iPod today. maybe there is a message I'm supposed to learn.

If Tomorrow Never Comes by Garth Brooks

Sometimes late at night
I lie awake and watch her sleeping
She's lost in peaceful dreams
So I turn out the lights and lay there in the dark
And the thought crosses my mind
If I never wake up in the morning
Would she ever doubt the way I feel
About her in my heart

If tomorrow never comes
Will she know how much I loved her
Did I try in every way to show her every day
That she's my only one
And if my time on earth were through
And she must face the world without me
Is the love I gave her in the past
Gonna be enough to last
If tomorrow never comes

'Cause I've lost loved ones in my life
Who never knew how much I loved them
Now I live with the regret
That my true feelings for them never were revealed
So I made a promise to myself
To say each day how much she means to me
And avoid that circumstance
Where there's no second chance to tell her how I feel

If tomorrow never comes
Will she know how much I loved her
Did I try in every way to show her every day
That she's my only one
And if my time on earth were through
And she must face the world without me
Is the love I gave her in the past
Gonna be enough to last
If tomorrow never comes

So tell that someone that you love
Just what you're thinking of
If tomorrow never comes

4 comments:

SuperMom said...

I am so touched you wrote this about Michelle. I met Michelle on her first day at South Jordan Middle school and we were inseparable all throughout middle school. I didnt see her or talk to her much in the last years but I do miss her and I know she is with her brother and sister.
Jaryn Larsen

Alesha said...

You are so right about all of that. We tend to rush about in our lives without taking the time to really appreciate them a lot of times. Michelle was such an awesome person and I grieve with you.

Anonymous said...

I know that you don't know who I am, but my name is Lisa and I have been best friends with Michelle for the past 12 years or so. She mentioned you often in her letters to me and she loved her mission and all the people that she met. Thank you for being there for her when Mel, Jr. passed away. She had called me to tell me and I prayed that she had someone to lean on.
I had the chance to go to up and say good-bye to her the night that she passed away and even though it is such a tradgic thing that has happened I know that she is in a better place and it is amazing how strong her family has been through everything they have been through.
Michelle is a very special spirit and will live on in each of us.

Anonymous said...

What you wrote was touching Liz. You really don't know what you have until its gone. Michelle was so fun to work with and so kind to everyone. She was such a good mother and wife, and friend. She will be missed. That picture of you two, so cute. You were so young. Just want to say, I love ya!