Monday, March 10, 2008

Elantris – Brandon Sanderson

I pick this book up because Robert Jordan is dead. If anyone doesn’t know, Brandon Sanderson has been chosen to complete the Wheel of Time Series with Book 12: A Memory of Light, and publish it in the Fall of 2009. So here is this author that is completely unknown to me and HE will be writing the final book of what I have read time and again for the last 12 years?? So I HAD to read something by this author to see if he will be okay or if it will totally suck and book 12 wont be worth reading....

Well, Elantris was pretty good. I admit that it did take me 3 months to read, but I blame life for getting in the way. I’m a buy it because the cover are is cool reader. I buy it based on the cover art, and synopsis and then decide later that the book really sucks or not. The art on this cover drew me to it, and I wonder why I never picked it up before.

The story centers around 3 basic characters. Each with their own struggles. Prince Raoden who is cursed and banished to the dying city of Elantris, Sarene his betrothed who now has to live without him and try to hold the country together, and Hrathen a warrior priest who had come to convert of destroy.

It did have a slow start for me which is another reason why it took a while for me to read, but once I got into it I think it took just 3 days to finish it. The ending did seem a little rushed though, but for a first novel this was very good. I’m looking forward to reading the Mistborn series and adding that to my book collection.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I emailed the author of this book, and this is what I got back:

Liz,

Greetings from Provo! Thanks for your kind email.

Thanks for the kind words! I've been getting a lot of good wishes from Wheel of Time fans, and frankly I'm humbled at how positive and supportive everyone is being. We lost a great man, and I know I can't replace him. But I CAN make sure we all get to read that last book as he intended.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you gave my own books a chance, and even more happy to hear that you enjoyed what you found. You can read the entire book of Warbreaker by downloading it, but if you prefer html, look for it once a week! Also, I visit the Layton B&N about once a year for signings, so keep an eye out.

Thanks again for reading!

Best,

Brandon