Monday, March 24, 2008

Twin Falls and Funerals

Have I ever mentioned that I Hate funerals... and even More then that, I HATE viewings.

 

I went though so I could officially say good by to my friend. Michelle didn't look like herself lying there in a coffin. This being one of the reasons that I hate viewings. She looked so much older and without her smiling she didn't look right, it was like the body there wasn't her at all and this was all just a spoof, but it's not. 

 

Michelle had always been ill. I remember he being quite sick when we were companions, but she was always smiling and being a wonderful missionary through it all. From what her parents say, she has always had some sort of undiagnosable stomach ailment that is apparently what got the better of her in the long run. Per her husband she was sick like any other night that he usually sleeps through, but for some reason on the night she went into her coma he woke up and was able to be with her for a few moments before she lost consciousness and slipped away. What caused it? Very low potassium levels. Which, in essence, stopped her heart and chain reacted through the rest of her body. (this may not be the official diagnosis post mortems, but I didn't have an opportunity to really talk to anyone at the funeral) She passed away peacefully on Wednesday night March 12th after everyone who could go see her had the opportunity to say goodbye.

 

She is now happily out of pain and with her siblings. Maya who passed away after a car accident before Michelle’s mission, and Mel who died while we were companions. Her parents are wonderful people, and were at the funeral comforting others. As the rest of us mourned for Michelle, they were baring their testimony of eternal families and the resurrection. What a wonderful family that is. The funeral was very nice. Her parents and Andrew all spoke of different parts of her life. Her mom talked about her as a little girl and her spunkiness and love of life. Her dad talked about her teenage years and the wonderful things they would do together and her love of life. Andrew talked about her later years and he started at the end and worked his way back to her mission and her uniqueness. Of all things, he mentioned her P-Day tattoo and her piercings :) and we all rejoiced in the wonderful life that was Michelle. Her coffin was beautiful, an iridescent black/gray that was very her, I’m sure she would love it. She will be sorely missed and I ache for her poor boys that have to grow-up with out their mother, but they are surrounded by family a who loves them and will teach them of the wonderful mother that they have watching over them from heaven.

 

I understand that there really are no words that one can say to another at the passing of a friend, really the most comforting thing anyone can say is just to tell someone that they are loved, and really mean it. :) like I have said previously on my blog I have learned lessons from those who have passed away and with Michelle it is to be more prompt in responding to those you love and stay closer to those you want to keep.

 

I appreciated that the funeral was on Easter Weekend. It gave me an opportunity to reflect on what is important and my thought’s and views on religion and where I stand therein.  And I am very thankful for my Savior and for the knowledge I have of eternal life and eternal families and that everyday I have the opportunity to be a better person and to repent for my wrongs and to try a little harder tomorrow.

 

Life is beautiful enjoy every minute of it for tomorrow may never come, and always be thankful for the Savior and the atonement and the doctrine of eternal families. Without that, dark times like these would truly be bleak with no light at the end of the tunnel.

No comments: