Thursday, September 27, 2007

I see the Moon and the Moon sees Me

So the full moon this month was inspiring. after reading bebo's blog I was inspired to share my very own moon stories. But first the moon.
I get to see the moon every morning as I drive to work in the pitch black of 6 am. The moon was huge and hung in the sky like a yellow diamond on black velvet and the man in the moon smiling down on the world like he is the superior to all. It was beautiful and made me wish that I had a telescope and the time to stare. My drive to work takes me west bound on SR201 and the moon was a light at the end of the tunnel that was always just out of reach. I love the moon.

Back in the days at lagoon there was a girl with whom I worked. Her name was Laura, I think she may be the only person I have actually known named Laura. On those nights while we'd be standing at our posts in the still 90 degree weather and the park was getting close to closing time, Laura would look up at the moon and in a little sing song sort of way she's say "I see the moon and the moon sees me, and the moon sees who I want to see." And for some silly reason it stuck with me and forever after that I think I say it to myself every time I see the moon. Once in a while I have conversations with the moon and tell it my thoughts and listen to it's silence and just be happy knowing it's there.

I remember one night as a missionary with my first companion who I didn't like very much. Our area was in the middle of nowhere Maryland (Cumberland to be exact) and often had long drives from place to place and all of those were in silence. I had been sick and was having a particularly bad day when on the way home I looked up in the sky and saw the moon. and said out loud "Hello Moon!" and was immediately laughed at and told how stupid I was for talking to the moon. (but she'd do the same thing if I said hello to any inanimate object.) I don't think that in my whole life, even with my brother's who tormented me for everything had anyone ever made me feel stupid for talking to the moon. I hate Sister Musick.

All in all I guess even though I love the moon it now brings up memories of her, but maybe my other memories of the moon can out weigh the bad.

No comments: