Friday, April 9, 2010

God Gave Rock n' Roll to You

If you know the movie reference to the title of this blog then kudos to you. Its one of my favorite songs from the Soundtrack to Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. Oddly enough, it's by Kiss, a band that I'm (a little) sorry to say that I really know nothing about their music.
 
Sometimes I like to think of myself as a music connoisseur, but when it comes down too it, I'm just a geeky girl who owns too many CDs. I have a great love of music from pretty much every genre, there really isn't anything that I wont listen to at least once.
 
I have decided to start a new tradition on my blog where I pick out one of my favorite CDs and tell you people why it is that I love it so.
 
You may agree or disagree with my music taste and choices, that's your right. Leave a comment and tell me about the memories you have of the music presented, I'm interested in your stories, too. I would also love to hear about some of the music you love as we go along.
 
Without further ado, here is today's selection:
 
        William Shakespeare's
        Romeo + Juliet
    Music From the Motion Picture
 

 1. #1 Crush - Garbage

 2. Local God - Everclear

 3. Angel - Gavin Friday

 4. Pretty Piece of Flesh - One Inch Punch

 5. Kissing You - Des'ree

 6. Whatever (I Had a Dream) - Butthole Surfers

 7. Lovefool - The Cardigans

 8. Young Hearts Run Free - Kym Mazelle

 9. Everybody's Free (To Feel Good) - Quindon Tarver

10. To You I Bestow - Mundy

11. Talk Show Host - Radiohead

12. Little Star - Stina Nordenstam

13. You and Me Song - The Wannadies

 

"Peace? Peace. I hate the word, as I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee."

 

I can hear it now. Some of you out there are saying "Really? THIS ALBUM!? You Chose THIS as your first CD Choice!? Wow! That's so lame!"

 

When this movie came out in 1996 I had to see it. I liked to think that as a 17 year-old I had a pretty good grasp of Shakespeare, a love of movies and the desire to see both done really well. In my teenage years I had a huge girl crush on Claire Danes and I couldn't get enough of her. I also didn't find Leonardo DiCaprio that hard to look at either. I saw this in the theater opening night, and it blew me away. I loved everything about it. The music, the setting, the director. It was amazing... but this blog is about the music and not the movie, I'll do that another day.

 

I had a rather measly CD collection at the time, I think I purchased this among my first 20 CDs ever. Thanks to the Columbia Music Club. This is one album that I still listen to often even 14 years later.
 
I remember when I first bought the album I wasn't 100% fond of all the music on it, and since I shared a room with my sister I opted to listen to other music more than this.. several songs on this CD have the "F" word that just was not appropriate to a young woman's ears... (I got over that.)
 
I didn't really start listening to this CD until I was working at KB Toy in Ogden. I had my own car with a CD player and had that 15 minute drive to and from work pretty much every day and lots of time to listen to what ever I wanted. Most nights after working I'd just need a release to vent some of the pent up energy/rage I had collected through the evening - that's when I discovered my love of this soundtrack. But it had to be played LOUD.
 
There were so many nights where I jacked up the volume of the stereo as loudly as I could and just belted out the songs at the top of my voice. It didn't matter, I was alone, there was on one to judge me. I loved it. I remember cruising down I-84 in the dark taking "the scenic route" home just so I had more time with my music.
 
Some of my favorites from the Soundtrack:
 
#1 Crush - The first song on the CD is one of my favorites. "I will sell my soul for something pure and true. Someone like you." What a way to open an album.
 
Pretty Piece of Flesh - Listen to this one loud.
 
Kissing You - This is the love theme from the movie it's a very sweet song. I love listening to it when I m in that sappy romantic mood. (This song would usually get skipped when I was listening to the album in my angry mood)
 
Young Hearts Run Free - I have to laugh at the fact that I got my Little Lariann to listen to this CD and she loved listening "Young Hearts Run Free" at my unearthly volume as much as I did. Sometimes when I got her in the car with me we'd just pop in this CD for that one song. Those were good times.
 
I love every song on this album. I admit that it's hard listening to it at a decent volume so it doesn't get listened to as much as I'd like since my husband isn't a fan of my super loud music. (or my music in general) but some days I pull up the album on my iPod put in my ear buds and turn it up... ah... it helps get me through my day.
 

No comments: