Thursday, January 17, 2008

nicknames

I have many nicknames throughout my life, I shall at some point post a list of most of them that I have been keeping at home, but for today the discussion is "Scarlet" and why is it that a person who I shall henceforth call "Nip" calls me that.

scar·let

n.
1. A strong to vivid red or reddish orange.
2. Scarlet-colored clothing or cloth.
adj.
1. Of a strong to vivid red or reddish orange.
2. Flagrantly immoral or unchaste: scarlet thoughts.
And according to all the baby name websites the name means "Red".
So why does she call me this? I don't know. I do not have red hair. I am not flagrantly immoral or unchaste. I do not wear a scarlet letter, and I am not a southern belle. I do look good in shades of red though (if I do say so myself). I did have a red haired friend once, but she is dead to me now.
The only reason why I can think that she calls me this is because of the 18 months of time she spent living in Georgia and it just must be a Georgia thing. - shrug -
Now don't get me wrong or anything, I don't mind the name, and I'm not complaining about the name. She's been calling me this off and on for about 8.5 years so far so it's not anything new. I have just been pondering lately why it is that I am called Scarlet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure it did not come from Georgia. I'm pretty sure I started calling you Scarlet long before then.

Unknown said...

maybe I just noticed it post Georgia.