Tuesday, June 10, 2008

For Scrat

I was asked to review more "ChickFlix" so her is a review of some that I can pull off the top of my head at the moment:
 
Tristen & Isolde - This is one of my favorite movies of the moment. Okay really it's been my favorite chick flick for the past 2 years. John took me to see it on my birthday back in 2006 and hasn't heard the end of it since. I love the whole tragic overtone of the whole thing. What with perfect love being found and lost and then found again but having it be forbidden. sigh. I must admit that I do enjoy the fact that James Franco is in it. I think he is very soft on the eyes (if you know what I mean), but the movie itself is just good.
 
Flyboys - Another James Franco movie. This too is about love found and lost, but it also includes awesome airplanes and dog fights and lots of "fandsom hellos" (it's a jessica thing). I really enjoyed this movie as a whole and not just because it had some eye candy.
 
Dear Frankie - This is just the first of a string of Gerard Butler movies that will come up on the chick flick list. This movie was so cute. it's the story of a little boy who mother is constantly moving from town to town with her nine year old son Frankie. Frankie is deaf, and his protective mom has been writing him letters from his "father" the sailor telling Frankie about his adventures. Frankie tracks the route of the vessel in a map, and when the vessel is scheduled to arrive in their coastal town, his mom hires a stranger to be Frankie's dad for a little while. So cute. John needed subtitles it's all in Scottish and a little hard to follow if you don't understand what their saying. But I loved it.
 
The Phantom of the Opera (2004) - If I hadn't already loved the musical I would have fallen in love with it just by watching this movie. This again was another movie John took me to for a birthday. The way this was filmed is spectacular! I loved the vastness of the Opera House and the costumes and how it was put together. I was slightly disappointed that a few of my favorite songs from the musical were changed and/or omitted from the theatrical production. However I recommend this movie to anyone who loves the music of Andrew Lloyd Webber. (And yes, Gerard Butler is the Phantom)
 
300 - Why on earth is this in a list of chick flicks? It's terrible violent, bloody and full of war ... but it is also full of well chiseled men in loin cloths. :) I know I'm terrible. Another Gerard Butler film to add to the list. There is a love story behind all the violence and a story about how you should always do your best no matter what the odds are. There are also the themes of faith, courage, loyalty, family and truth. The cinematic in this film are awe-inspiring and it is very well done. This movie is a part of MY movie collection.
 
P.S., I Love You - Honestly, I haven't seen this movie all the way through yet so I don't know how terribly tragic or sad it is yet. I watched the last hour of it at a friends house the other night and let me tell you, that last hour was a tear jerker. This poor woman's husband dies of a tumor but before he goes he writes her letters leaving them with different people in different places to try to help her heal after he is gone. It was so good. I'll be renting it for myself soon.
 
The Notebook - Don't forget the tissues. This is the story about a love that is unbreakable no matter what happens. Allie and Noah are in love and even though time and trials come between them they end up together in the end... and I'll just say that the end of this movie made me sob.
 
The Princess Bride - No list of girl movies is complete without this one. It is a classic. Even though it came out in 1987 it is so not a dated movie. It's so quotable and the love story between Buttercup and Wesley is a fairytale we'd all like to be a part of. Who hasn't seen this movie and then said to the one we love "as you wish" with that extra special meaning behind it. Who hasn't wanted to sail with the Dread Pirate Roberts or answered the statement of "I mean it" with "anybody want a peanut?" this is a movie to have in a home collection and to let your kids watch often and know that it is a good movie that will be around forever.
 
Moulin Rouge - The tragic love story of Satine and Christian. This was the first movie I saw when I came home from my mission. I love it. The music is great as Baz Luhrmann meshes modern music with the 1899 setting of the story and mashes it all together to tell a story. it's great.
 
Big Fish - The story of Edward Bloom who tells tall tales to his son that somehow in the end turn out to be mostly true. The son is tired of his dads stories and now that Edward Bloom is dying his son has to come to terms with who his father really is. This is a love story between a husband and wife and a father and son and all the adventures a person can have in their lives and the perspective that you put on it. I love this movie.
 
Down With Love - To start with - I hate Renee Zellweger - but Ewan McGregor made this movie worth watching. Catcher Block is every girls dream....  sigh... to bad this movie was severely lacking. It's another musical for Ewan McGregor and he does have a beautiful voice but the whole story is about love and sex and knocking people off their high horse. Not really a worth while venture in romantic comedies. I'd skip this one.
 
Pride & Prejudice (2005) - The story of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy and the mixed up world of love that they live in. I enjoyed the 2005 version more then any others that I have seen. It's worth watching at least once.
 
Bride & Prejudice - This is the pride and prejudice story just set in modern India. I really enjoyed this move and the world of Bollywood - "A Bollywood update of Jane Austen's classic tale, in which Mrs. Bakshi is eager to find suitable husbands for her four unmarried daughters. When the rich single gentlemen Balraj and Darcy come to visit, the Bakshis have high hopes, though circumstance and boorish opinions threaten to get in the way of romance." I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a little bit of foreign in their films.
 
The Nanny Diaries - Girl needs job, rich people need nanny and the handsome boy lives upstairs. This movie was really cute, I enjoyed watching it. It wasn't a blow you a way with romance girl movie, but it was cute none-the-less.
 
Enchanted - Not just a children's movie. This is an all out love story and though the leading man could have been much better looking I always find myself sucked into the story and rooting for cute little Giselle to find true love in this world of no happy endings.
 
That is all for now. This segment shall continue at a later date.
Toodles!
 
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, a chick flick review just for me!! PS I Love you is a really good movie, and if you're wanting a few others you should watch 27 Dresses and Over Her Dead Body!

I've never seen Big Fish, now I'm going to have to watch it cuz I think z has it. The kids LOVE Enchanted, and 300 is one of z's favorite movies!

Jessica Pears said...

I also enjoy 12 of the reviewed movies. Might I also add the following to the list: 13 going on 30, The Wedding Planner, While You Were Sleeping, and The Prince and Me.