Friday, October 1, 2010

There's only one thing that I know how to do well

Today's Musical Selection:
 
      Flood
They Might Be Giants
 

1. Theme From Flood

2. Birdhouse In Your Soul

3. Lucky Ball And Chain

4. Istanbul

5. Dead

6. Your Racist Friend

7. Particle Man

8. Twisting

9. We Want A Rock

10. Someone Keeps Moving My Chair

11. Hearing Aid

12. Minimum Wage

13. Letterbox

14. Whistling In The Dark

15. Hot Cha

16. Women & Men

17. Sapphire Bullets Of Pure Love

18. They Might Be Giants

 
For starters, I am not a fan of They Might be Giants. I tried at one time to like their other stuff, but I really just can't stand most everything else they have done. (Granted: there is a song here or there that I admit that I like and even have on my iPod, but it's not very many.) We have several CD's by TMBG but this is the only one I listen to. This album was released in 1990 so it was already pretty old when I got it, but the songs were all new to me. I bought this CD for three songs specifically. Song #1 Particle Man and Song #2 Bird House in Your Soul and Song #3 Istanbul. These three songs got a lot of radio play when I was a youth, and I loved them, so I bought the disk when I joined the Columbia Record Club when I was 16. (Yes, the Columbia Record Club - I had money and I wanted my own music... can you blame me?)
Turns out that I love every song on this album. I have memories of the kid in Graphic Arts Class who sat near me singing Whistling in the Dark all the time, and another kid who was a supervisor at Lagoon doing the "Minimum Wage... hi-yah!" to the money people behind the glass. And even now, thinking about this album since my iPod battery died this morning the only song that pops into my head is Road Movie to Berlin ... why? I have no idea.
So what it boils down to, is that if you want a fun album to listen to this one isn't a bad choice. The music is fun and a little addicting. The lyrics are catchy and enjoyable.

No comments: