Monday, October 25, 2010

Fallen by Lauren Kate

Yesterday I finished reading a book:
 
Fallen (Fallen, #1)
        FALLEN
           by Lauren Kate
 
Okay, I'm not going to lie to you. This wasn't the best thought out novel ever. The main characters were weak and selfish and sometimes completely pathetic. There was no reason for them to fall in love and no build up to them being destined for each other...
But other than that, I enjoyed this book. There were several points in the novel where I paused and compared it to Twilight. The poor main male character always brooding and running away from the girl he is supposed to be in love with and all the "oooooo stay away from me" lines. Bleh. Haw pathetic.
However, for a quick weekend read it wasn't terrible. Sure, the book is like 459 pages long, but I finished it in one full day. It has a large type-set so there aren't as many words in it as the bulk of the book would suggest. So it's not a hard one to read. Overall, I did like the story, and it had a lot of potential to be a good book. I just wish that there had been more character development with Daniel and Luce, and that they would have acted the way their character descriptions made them sound.
There was some build up to the climactic face off, but not really enough, and then when it came down to describing things the author was very vague and she might as well just have said "And then something happened and then something else came along and some one said this."
I know that as an author you're supposed to trust your readers and leave a little to their imagination, but I don't think you're supposed to leave EVERYTHING to the readers imagination.
Listen to me, all I'm doing is boo-whooing this book when really I had a hard time putting it down. Even though it was vague, and the characters were hollow, it was an easy story to get into and enjoyable to read. Just don't go into it expecting it to be a super great book and you wont be too disappointed.
I may or may not read the sequels, that has yet to be decided.

No comments: