Friday, January 23, 2009

Why do I read this stuff??

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

I started watching this on PBS last Sunday but it only showed half way and I'll have to wait till next Sunday to see how it ends. But I'll be out of town when the second half comes on and I'll probably never see it. I figured I'll just read the book and see for myself how it ends.
 
First off I think the only person in this book worth anything is Hareton Earnshaw. He being taken advantage of and mocked and scorned from the day he was born. Where-s everyone else in the book should have known better and should have risen above their biased natures.

I pity Heathclilff and Catherine and think they both deserve what they got and what a horrible man to pine for someone else's wife, and what a terrible wife to wish that your husband would allow you to continue to carry on with your former love.

If I pined and whined about someone the way that Catherine did about Heathcliff my husband would up and leave me. And part of the time I thought that if Edgar had any sense at all he would have left Catherine and let her and Heathcliff kill each other and him not be in the middle of it.
 
Then there was Isabella who was a terrible human being herself . What a selfish unthankful girl. I can see her meaning on one hand but on the other I think she should have listened more and not scolded so much. And Young Catherine who turned into her mother an brought the beating upon herself. What a wretched girl.
 
The maid Nelly was no better being a terrible gossip and being the narrator of this whole event to Mr. Lockwood would should have stayed well enough out of other people's business.

I don't think this is a book I shall ever read again.

No comments: