Thursday, January 29, 2009

Inspired

Last night as I was typing away at my book I paused and thought to myself "why do I think I can be a writer?" what an interesting question. I pondered this thought for a little while and realize that I can trace back my desire to write to one book that inspired me. For anyone that knows me they know that I LOVE to read, so narrowing down anything to just one book is a difficult task, but with out pause I named The Arm of the Starfish by Madeleine L'Engle as what started it all.
 
 
The Arm of the Starfish (O'Keefe Family, Book 1)
 
 
 
This book caught my imagination from the beginning and hung on for the entire ride. It's a mystery/thriller that has all the good elements of a story Love, Hate, Betrayal, Intrigue, Espionage, Double agents ... what more could a person ask for in a book. It taught me that your choices in life do matter and that life isn't always black and white and sometimes those gray areas get you.
 
This was not the first book I ever read, or the last, but it certainly inspired me to write down the stories that were in my head. This book actually inspired my first spy-novel that I have lamented about on this blog once or twice. Perhaps if I read it again I may be inspired to finish my story and relieve poor Willow and Stewart of the peril that I left them in so many years ago... or maybe not. 
 
I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a good read. Sure, it YA fiction, but come on, admit it, you like reading those books too.
 
But as LaVar Burton used to say ... "You don't have to take my word for it"

No comments: