Friday, January 16, 2009

Desert Island DVD's

My Brother-in-law Scott tagged me to make my list of 10 DVD's I would take to that desert island I was stuck on a while back with only music to listen to. But now there is a TV and I'm sure hopping it's a 62" flat screen because some of my movies are even better the bigger they are :)

What are the rules? Well here you go:
* Only one movie from a series
* Only one movie from a given director
* Limit the list to 10

I tag the following people to post their top 10 -
Alesha
Jenn
Carrie
Loran
Kenji

enjoy!

~*~*~*~*~

Hello Dolly
this became one of my favorite musicals years ago when I went to the Roy High School production because a friend was in it. Since then I have loved it. I love the music. I love the costumes. I love the plot. I love Dolly. This is a movie I have seen countless times and love it every time. John laughs at me because when it comes on TV at 11 o'clock at night I'll stay up until it's over just so I can watch it.

"It takes a woman to quietly plan to take him and change him to her kind of man and to gently lead him where fortune can find him and not let him know that the power behind him was that dainty woman, that fragile woman, that sweetheart, that mistress, that wife."

Moulin Rouge
the first movie I saw upon my return from my mission. I remember seeing posters for this movie in the Metro Stations in DC while I was there and I would stare at them long to be able to see it. My cute little sister Lariann had me watch it with her when I got home and I LOVED it. Well who wouldn't love a musical with Ewan McGregor in?!

"I owe you nothing. And you are nothing to me. Thank you for curing me of my ridiculous obsession with love."

Tristan & Isolde
Sappy love story based on a Legend. Tristan and Isolde are star-crossed lovers who are forced apart and then brought back together when he wins her for his King's new bride. They then have to decide to stifle their love or stoop to betrayal to be together. I could watch this movie over and over and still be in love with Tristan and his woeful life.

"I live in torture, thinking of these moments. With every look he gives you, I get sicker and sicker. There is a burning in me I feel on fire, and there's guilt I can't comidify. Does it make you happy to know that?"

The Princess Bride
A classic. I don't know many people who have not seen this movie... not only that I think just about everyone could quote it word for word. I know I periodically fill-in my inner monolog often with "Does anybody want a peanut?" It is action, love, people marrying the wrong person and battles to the pain.

"Your ears you keep and I'll tell you why. So that every shriek of every child at seeing your hideousness will be yours to cherish. Every babe that weeps at your approach, every woman who cries out, "Dear God! What is that thing," will echo in your perfect ears. That is what to the pain means. It means I leave you in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery forever."


Disney's Robin Hood
I have watched this move a million times since I was a kid. Robin Hood is such a fox. I have often wished that he was real so I could marry him, but alas, he is a cartoon character AND an animal. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to watch him on my tv.

"Seize the fat one!"


Live Free or Die Hard
I really didn't think I'd like this movie, but I watched it, and I really liked it. I would recommend this for one of those days when all you want is some good old violence and lots of explosions.

Matt: "You just killed a helicopter with a car!"
John: "I was out of bullets."



Sleepy Hollow
This came out shortly before I left on my mission and I was trying so hard to be good and not watch anymore R rated movies... but this one got me. I guess I'm just weak and like the violence. I love this movie. It's another Johnny Depp/Tim Burton masterpiece.

"I beg pardon. But why am I the only one who can see that to solve crimes, we must use our brains, assisted by reason, using up-to-date scientific techniques?"

Return of The Jedi
This is the movie that first inspired me to be an evil villain. The Emperor is so... AWESOME. I have a great respect for the dark side, and though the end of the movie is the demise of the Emperor he has inspired me to be just like him when I grow up.

"Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. Your friends, up there on the sanctuary moon, are walking into a trap, as is your Rebel fleet. It was *I* who allowed the Alliance to know the location of the shield generator. It is quite safe from your pitiful little band. An entire legion of my best troops awaits them. Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive."

The Chronicles of Riddick
Steaming hot Vin Disel... So that really isn't the reason I like the movie, but my husband likes to say it is. I loved this movie for the adventure of it. Defying authority, Killing stupid people, And in the end making everything yours.

"You keep what you kill"

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
I love this movie. I had never read the Narnia books before, but I had seen the PBS versions of them off and on as a child. When this came out a few years ago I thought it would be good, but it was Magnificent! I love every moment of it and I especially love Aslan.

"If the Witch knew the true meaning of sacrifice, she might have interpreted the deep magic differently. That when a willing victim who has committed no treachery, is killed in a traitor's stead, the stone table will crack, and even death itself would turn backwards."


__________
Runners up:

Ever After
Star Wars: Episode 1 The Phantom Menace
Transporter
Sweeny Todd
Sleeping Beauty



** this of course was started by Scott's friends Dave&Kristen whos blog is also very amusing :)

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Robin Hood! How did I forget to put that one on my list?!? I adore that movie as well.

Loran said...

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. White christmas
3. Disney's Robin Hodd (I ran out and bought that as soon as it came out)
4.The King and I
5.She wore a Yellow Ribbon
6.Sweeny Todd
7.Mary Poppins
8.Zoolander
9.Breakfast club
10. Back to the Future

That was hard.