Thursday, May 15, 2008

people are stupid

it seems that recently there has been a rise of stupidity in my life. Every time I turn around it seems that I'm being dealt the stupid card and I don't really think that I need it.

my first incident of stupidity was when a I mentioned to someone that I had purchased the first 10 years of Sesame Street on DVD so my kids could have something good to watch I was informed that Sesame Street, the earlier seasons "ARE NOT for children!" they're not? hmm funny how I always thought it was a CHILDREN'S show, what with learning how to count and read and all. But apparently the fact that children are playing WITHOUT any padding or helmets or because they go OUTSIDE and are KIND to each other and SHARE is bad for your child to watch because then they'll think they can do it too. Hmmm ... I watched ALL of those Sesame Street episodes as a child and I seem to have turned out okay. I didn't die because I rode my bike without a helmet and I can still use my knees and elbows even though I have bumped and scraped them several times falling down. I never ate more cookies then was good for me, I never went to strangers houses and I hardly ever ate a typewriter. I guess this person being a "new mother" is in that overbearing protective stage and she just needs to suck it up and realize that filling your child's brain with 70's children's shows is MUCH better then letting my baby watch Cops or the Simpson's or anything that may be on the Cartoon Network at the moment. Even modern day PBS Kids falls on my list of "my kid wont watch this." Yes, I do realize that apparently this warning label is on the packaging of the DVD's, I haven't read it, but like I said it's better then the alternative.

The second stupid encounter is the lady at the gym I used to go to (I quit yesterday). This scene reminded me of an episode of Friends where Chandler wants to quit the gym but couldn't so eventually he had to close out his bank accounts .. well, mom and I went in last night to quit the gym but mom is a chicken and couldn't do it and was talked into a "medical leave" while she goes to Washington to help the oldest sister stay on bed rest where she belongs with pneumonia and a baby on the way. Now she has to come back and try quitting in September. I however stood firm and QUIT the gym because I really need that $32 extra a month right now, that's almost a full tank of gas for us. So in this who was the stupider of the two ... the lady who gave us guilt trips about quitting OR my mom who couldn't stand firm in her resolve to quit. It's a toss up.

And last but not least ... I was having a hard day yesterday as more and more people have broke "the happy news" in the last few weeks that they are expecting a baby. And I really am happy for them, but from where I stand I see only bleak loss of my own opportunities to be a mommy and to have one of my own to love and play with. I know that people don't always know what's going on with others and it's not like I walk around with a sign that says "I can't have children you stupid freak so don't rub it in." Most likely my sign says something like: "If you tell me you're pregnant I'll deck you" .. . well, I got one of those great emails from one of my cute childhood friends yesterday letting everyone know that their little family is growing, so if you couldn't tell by my only post yesterday, I was already on edge so when I went into the gym to quit mom and this special woman who works there (who still periodically thinks my name is Jessica) were talking about the oldest sister and her being 25.F and having her 5th baby. Well the gym lady thinks that that is so old for having a baby and let us know in no uncertain terms that she pretty much thinks that is over the hill. Well, aside from insulting my sister, she moved on to me and reminded me that I'm almost 30 and I should have my children now (if not 5 years ago) because I'm getting old and it will soon be to late for me and .....blah blah blah. huh. Thank you very much Marlene for making my life so much brighter and bringing such a warm cozy feeling to my empty soul. I went home and cried myself to sleep. I do have to give kudos to my mother who after this kind lecture turned to me and said "I didn't have my first baby until I was 30 and I had six of them" this did take the sting away a little bit.

4 comments:

Alesha said...

Liz,

People are stupid. I'm sorry they all seem to be gravitating toward you over the past couple of days...I'm here if you need me. We need to get together to go to lunch sometime soon anyway.

Alesha

Jessica Pears said...

Wow. I gues there's absolutely no hope for a 32 year old with absolutley no prospects for marriage. yikes.

Unknown said...

yep, Marlene nelson is the end all in how people should run their lives.

Anonymous said...

Forever is a long time to be the "mom" when it happens for you it will... no big rush. You'll be a great mommy when it happens.