Monday, April 4, 2011

Stay the Same

Oh my! I'm back with my CD selection of the week... and yes, I realize that today isn't Friday, but I realized that I have a ton of half started, unfinished blog posts in my out box that need a little attention. So lets get back to this without further ado:

 

Stay The Same

   Joey McIntyre

 

All I Wanna Do

Because Of You

Couldn't Stay Away

Give It Up

I Can't Do It Without You

I Cried

I Love You Came Too Late

Let Me Take You For A Ride

One Night

Stay The Same

The Way (that I Loved You)

We Can Get Down

Without Your Love

 

 

I think this album came to me as a bit of a joke. My eldest brother bought me the single of stay the same on a whim because he knew how much I loved the New Kids on the Block... and especially Joey. Stay the Same is Joey McIntyre's first solo debut album, released on March 16, 1999. The single for this album was the song "Stay the Same" it's a bit of an inspirational ballad that talks about how you're perfect just the way you are.... I'm sure Norm didn't know it at the time, but I really needed to hear this song. At the time all my friends were moving, going on missions, getting married... and I wasn't doing anything. I desperately wanted to be different. I wanted to be doing something with my life but I felt like it was all just on hold for no reason. I wasn't sure I liked who I was and I was pretty sure that no one loved me back. Then, one day, out of the blue my brother gave me this single and it changed everything. I listened to it, and I cried, and I listened to it some more and loved it. And I think Joey taught me a lesson that I really needed to hear at that time in my life. Believe in yourself. You are special just the way you are. Don't change. You're perfect just the way you are. I know the CD was non-regulation mission music, but I took this single with me when I went to serve in the Washington DC South Mission, and I'm glad I did. There were times, and companions that ripped me to shreds and made me think that I wasn't worth spit, and when I'd feel low and unworthy, I'd turn on this little off the plan song and I'd be okay again.

Eventually I did buy they entire album. I don't recall if that purchase was made before, or after the mission, because the rest of the music didn't have as big of an impact on my soul. The album is made up mostly of 90's Pop love ballads. (Which I do love.) Joe McIntyre has a great voice for belting out this type of tune. The rest of the songs on the album are great and worth listening to. Some of my favorites on the album are: I Cried, The Way (that I Loved You), Because of You, and I Love You Came to Late. I realized that I only have a few of them on my iPod and may need to reshuffle some music to add Joey back into my listening library... but Stay the Same is on there. I don't think I'll ever not love this song.

Thanks for bringing Joe back into my life Norm. You really have no idea how much it changed me for the better and how those words, and that song have helped me through the hard times. Thank you for being such a great brother.

 

Stay the Same – Joe McIntyre

 

Don't you ever wish you were someone else,
You were meant to be the way you are exactly.
Don't you ever say you don't like the way you are.

When you learn to love yourself, you're better off by far.
And I hope you always stay the same, cuz there’s nothin' 'bout you I would change.

I think that you could be whatever you wanted to be
If you could realize, all the dreams you have inside.
Don't be afraid if you've got something to say,
Just open up your heart and let it show you the way.

Don't you ever wish you were someone else,
You were meant to be the way you are exactly.
Don't you ever say you don't like the way you are.

When you learn to love yourself, you're better off by far.
And I hope you always stay the same, cuz there's nothin' 'bout you I would change.

Believe in yourself.
Reach down inside.
The love you find will set you free.
Believe in yourself, you will come alive.
Have faith in what you do.
You'll make it through.

 

Don't you ever wish you were someone else,
You were meant to be the way you are exactly.
Don't you ever say you don't like the way you are.

When you learn to love yourself, you're better off by far.
And I hope you always stay the same, cuz there's nothin' 'bout you I would change.

 

Don't change.

No comments: