Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween Movie Month - Final Week 9

Survival of the Dead (2009) - Yes, this is another in the "of the Dead" series. This one was about a couple of soldiers who made a brief appearance in the Diary of the Dead and the stragglers they picked up along the way. Mostly it's about an island off of Delaware called plum and the decades old feud between two old men and their families. It is also proposed in the film that may, just maybe we can get the zombies to eat the animals instead of eating the humans... but John and I both agreed that that is a stupid idea because what will the zombies do when they don't have anymore animals to eat? that's right, they'll just go back to eating humans. There is some foul language and some zombie gore, but pretty tame for some of the movies we have watched lately.
*
The Army of Darkness (1992) - This is a classic movie for all to love. We have been on a Bruce Campbell kick lately, and this movie fit the bill for what we were looking for. This is the third installment of the Evil Dead movies after Ash is sucked into a swirling vortex he finds himself in a medieval world where he has to obtain the Necronomicon, battle an army of darkness, save the girl and return to his own time. I love so much about this movie: the two-headed Ash, the mini-mirror Ashes, the army of the dead, the cheesy dialogue "Gimme some sugar, Baby" - it's just a great movie all around. I don't recall to much swearing, and there is a little bit of gore, but for the most part it's a pretty clean film that most of the family can enjoy. I don't know why we don't own it yet.
*
From Dusk to Dawn (1996) - Quentin Tarantino and George Clooney. What can I say about this movie. There were parts of it I liked, there were parts of it I hated. It took too long to get to the Vampires, and the version we watched had too much naked and vulgar language. This is one of those movies that was entertaining, but I think it would probably do better to watch it as a TV edit. There was lots of blood, lots of swearing, lots of inappropriate verbiage, and not enough action.
*
Predators (2010) - I was expecting more action, and more from Laurence Fishburne. But I was disappointed. John and I spent the movie deciding who would be the next to go. There was not enough Predator involvement in the film. For being such bad-ass aliens they sure weren't trying to hard to hunt their prey in this one. There were some parts that were quite funny, and some that were just stupid. There was a lot of swearing, and not too much gore. If you're a fan of the Predator movies you might as well watch it. That's why we did. but as a whole, there are other Predator movies I'd rather watch instead.
*
Open Graves (2009) - The reason we rented this movie... Eliza Dushku. She's my girl crush. I have all sorts of weird dreams about her all the time. (And just in case you're ever trapped in a crashing airplane with her and she tells you that she knows how to fly - it's a lie - good thing I woke up from that one. Yeah, I'm a dork, I know.) Anyways... this movie was not so bad, but no where close to good. a bunch of youths gather to play a cursed game and all goes wrong, people die and a wish is granted but it's not a happy ending. Would I tell some one else to rent this move. Not likely.
 
**
 
Well, that's the end of our Halloween Movie Month(s). We had fun and watched a lot of movies. Some were good. Most were bad. We really slacked off this last week and didn't finish watching some of the favorites we have in our personal collection, but they're always there for watching when ever we want.
 
I was asked to keep an eye out to see if there any movies we watched this year that are teenager appropriate... Lets see:
 
Disturbia (2009)
Blood: The Last Vampire (2009)
The Mist (2007)
Garfield's Halloween Adventure (1985)
Will Vinton's: Claymation Halloween Special (1987)
Silver Bullet (1985)
Army of Darkness (1992)
Drag Me To Hell (2009)
Alien Apocalypse (2005)
 
And here are some that we didn't watch this year I I wouldn't mind letting my teenager watch:
 
What Lies Beneath (2000)
Sleepy Hollow (1999)
Ghost Busters (1984)
Ghost Busters II (1989)
Evil Dead (1981)
Evil Dead II (1987)
Hocus Pocus (1993)
The Black Cauldron (1985)
CreepShow (1982)
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966)
The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
The Frighteners (1996)
Clue (1985)
 
There are other, but I don't have my DVD folder in front of me so this is all I can think of off the top of my head. 
As a parent of teenagers you may agree or disagree with my choices, but these are movies that I deem youth appropriate, or are movies that I watched as a teenager that haven't scared me for life.

No comments: