Friday, September 3, 2010

Random Friday Stuff ...

First of all ... Z and Not-Your-Sister had their baby boy this morning.
 
Secondly: I just wanted to reiterate my life philosophy incase there is any one out there who may have forgotten it -- "Hurt and Alienate others so they can't hurt and alienate you first."
 
And lastly:  Today's Musical Selection
 
Jagged Little Pill
Jagged Little Pill
    Alanis Morrissette
 
 
This CD was given to me by my dad. He worked at a little mall that was quickly dying and in that mall there was a music store that would toss out old CD's that had broken covers or lost jewel cases and what-not and one day he discovered this gem in his trash and brought it home to me.
What can I say about this album... That's a loaded question. This album was released June 15, 1995.  I'm going to start off by saying that I have been a closet Alanis fan since the first time I heard her music on the radio. I remember so many nights riding home from Lagoon in Tom's little white Toyota truck at one or two in the morning smooshed in the middle between Tom driving and Jessica listening to Ironic and loving it. I remember listing to You Oughta Know when I was so bitter and angry at Ben for choosing someone else instead of me. I remember hearing Wake Up not to long after Richard rejected me as well. I remember hearing Head Over Feet for the first time on the radio and loving it and putting it on my list of "Songs I'll cover when I have my own band." I remember hearing One Hand in My Pocket and thinking what an absurd song it was, but I constantly reference it and I sing it periodically when I put my hand in my pocket. I remember hearing You Learn and deeming that "my song" after I hit some rough patches that I just needed to hear someone say to me "You live, you learn. You love, you learn. You cry, you learn. You lose, you learn. You bleed you learn. You scream you learn."
This CD reminds me of everything high school and the life of a lonely teenager was to me. It's angry, it's loud, but it teaches you life lessons that you need to know. Jagged Little Pill is all about self-empowerment, standing up and believing in yourself, living life with both eyes open and a undying sense of hope.
So what is  my opinion of this album 15 years later... I still love it. (If you'd like to love it too you can buy it HERE.) I still love the bitterness that practically bleeds from the lyrics of this album. And yet ... just in case you're over your bitter streak, but still love Alanis I suggest you listen to her more recent albums as well. (You can buy my other favorite Alanis album HERE.) It seems that as she got older she got less bitter.

1 comment:

Angie Stout said...

This is one of my "I'm mad leave me alone" CD's. Expecially when I was younger, I would play it loud and get my anger out.