Friday, November 7, 2008

What's in my DVD Player?

Starship Troopers 3: Marader - Outside of this movie being cheesy, full of bad acting and trying to teach us a lesson about God. This movie was great. Lots of si-fi killing and very dramatic. If you have ever seen the other 2 Star Ship Trooper movies you should see this one. This one is better then the second one but not by much. The Sky Captain is being controlled by the bugs and he's a nutcase and is helping the bugs win the war. Colonel Ricco has to come in and save the day and the war goes on. That's about is.
 
Stay - Wow. I don't even know how to explain this movie. #1 reason I watched this was because it had Ewan McGregor and for a bonus it also had Ryan Gosling whom I also find easy to look at. The story is of a Psychiatrist who takes over a patient from a sick colleague. the patient has some serious mental issues and is planning on dying at midnight on his 21st birthday. So Sam (the psychiatrist) has to find him and stop him before it's too late. Turns out it was all a weird dream of a man dying in the road and imagining the people standing above him into this weird little world. It was pretty good, but confusing.
 
Muppet Treasure Island - I saw this in the theater when it came out in 1996. I thought it was great back then, but I have lowered my appraisal of it to just "pretty good". first of all the boy who played Jim Hawkins has such a weak singing voice and so darn girly. He was cute back then because he reminded me of Jonathan Brandis, but now, he just bothers me. Tim Curry can not sing. Ack! Who ever told him he could should be shot. But the Muppets... They were perfect as always and so very entertaining. You can never go wrong mixing Muppets and Pirates. Arrrgh!
 
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace - A few days ago John randomly asked me "Why does everybody hate Jar Jar Binks?" and I laughed and asked him if he was serious! He's a horrible character. He drives me crazy and I would have The Phantom Menace higher of my list of movies I love if it wasn't for him. So in honor of John's silly question we pulled this one off the shelf and put it in before bed. Jar Jar hadn't been on screen for more then two minutes before john said "I remember why now. Thank you for reminding me." Unfortunately I was having a hard time watching the movie because I was reading and watching at the same time so I had to close my book to give Master Qui-Gon my full attention. But once I did that John and I fell fast asleep. I never even got to see the Pod Races.
 
The Bucket List - Jack Nicolson and Morgan Freeman. Wow, those guys have gotten old. This movie was really touching. It's about 2 old guys who have cancer and have been given 6 months to a Year to live so they decide to do all the things on the List of things to do before you kick the bucket (thus "the Bucket list") Well Morgan Freeman has been a hard working blue collar worker his whole life and Jack Nicolson is a rich guy who owns a lot of stuff so Jack takes Morgan on a tour around the world to do all the things that they want to do before the end. And in the end they both die and have their ashes placed on top of Mount Everest (I think). anyway, it was a good movie and I really enjoyed it. and yes, you'll need tissues.
 
Samurai 7 - I don't know what it is about Anime Samurai, but I have found that I love them. In fact I am in love with Himura Kenshin (nobody worry, he is just a fictional character and I wont leave John for him) But I truly enjoy watching these Samurai shows. Seven Samurai is about a village that is being terrorized by bandits (with giant robots, none-the-less) so they send their water priestess to the city to find them 4 samurai. Well she finds one and he says they need 7 so they gather more samurai and defeat the bad guys. The show has several different story arch's: the journey to become a true samurai, finding love where you least expect it, Love does not always come to those who want it, don't idolize others it just gives them further to fall, good will triumph, and Next time you attack with giant robots you should make sure that they are katana proof. This is a Manga/Anime series I would recommend to those who enjoy that genre.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I have Get Smart, I don't know if you have seen it yet but I just can not stop laughing. I just love some stupied humor on really long days

Loran said...

I loved the Bucket List too. I love Sean Hayes in this one. And yes you will need tissues that is for sure.