Saturday, October 18, 2008

What Have I Been Watching?

This has been a terribly uneventful Halloween movie month. I feel like we haven’t really accomplished watching anything let-alone putting up my Halloween decorations. I think I’m just too lazy to do it because I know that as soon as I do I have to take them down for some other holiday decoration. Ugh! Oh well, on that note here it is the list of movies that we have watched the past few weeks:

The Messengers – We watched this movie with Jess & Toby one random Saturday night. It was alright. It’s about a family that moves out to middle of nowhere North Dakota to start a sunflower farm, but the house the move into is haunted… and if you want the technical term I’d say that was a residual haunting as the events of the traumatic night are replayed over and over again. But only the teenage screw up daughter sees anything and her parents don’t believe her. Then a crazy overly friendly guy shows up to help on the farm and it turns out that the house wants HIM because he killed his entire family over a failed crop of sunflowers. Anyway, in the end the house gets him and the girl is no longer labeled as the crazy screw up.

The Happening – M. Knight Shamalan. Really sometimes that’s all you need to say about a movie and people form their opinions. This movie was… well, I don’t really know how to describe it without totally giving away the plot and ruining the movie for any who want to see it. There was an “event” that occurred that caused people to kill themselves and Marky Mark Wahlburg had to take his wife and friend and friends daughter and flee the affected area. Well the “effected area” kept getting bigger and bigger and more people die and eventually Marky Mark is left with only his wife and his friend’s kid. They go through a bunch of trials and eventually the event ends and they miraculously surrived. Marky Marks acting was so bad it was funny and his wife caused me to sit and wonder throughout the whole movie “who is she and where have I seen her before” but other than that I guess I’ll just say that this movie was okay, and that if you like the other M. Knight Shamalan movies then you’ll probably like this one too.

The Invasion – This is your standard invasion of the pod people movie. Aliens come to earth and take over people’s bodies and bring peace and love and someone who is unaffected wants to kill them. This had Nicole Kidman and that ugly James Bond guy Daniel Craig in it. I wasn’t to impressed with the movie as a whole, but if you are looking for something kinda cheesy and not very suspenseful you can watch this one.

SkinWalkers – I actually didn’t watch this one. I fell asleep, but a week of having a cold and Nyquil finally got the better of me and I slept through this one. But here is what I know about it. There are good werewolves and bad werewolves and there is the golden child who on his 13th birthday will cure all the werewolves of their curse. Of course the bad werewolves don’t want to be changed back they enjoy being evil but the good werewolves are hiding the child waiting for the day of redemption. John says it was terrible though but it wasn’t that great either. He has made us watch several Werewolf movies in the years we have been together, and I put most of them in that category. If you want to watch an entertaining werewolf movie I suggest Ginger Snaps and Ginger Snaps II. I really did like those ones.

Ghost Ship – A movie we have seen a few times. It’s okay. Once you have seen it once though you’ve seen it and I don’t know that there is any point in revisiting it. Salvagers find out about a ship in international waters and decide to go and take her for their own and when they get out there they discover that it is a ship that had been missing for over 30 years. Most of the members of the salvage crew die except for one and she finds out the truth behind the missing ship and her dead crew and has to fight back to survive. Anyway, it’s worth watching once, but that’s about it.

The Nightmare before Christmas – Always a good movie. I do put this in my “Thanksgiving Movie” category because it’s not really a Halloween movie and it’s not really a Christmas movie, it’s an in-between movie. I have loved this movie since it first came out years and years ago and I love it more now than I did then. I have gained quite the appreciation for Tim Burton and Danny Elfman over the years and would recommend any move that Tim Burton has his hands in.

The Frighteners – Michael J. Fox in a horror movie. Yes, it’s as ridiculous as it sounds. The movie was too long and drug out and could have ended about an hour sooner than it did. And the whole time I found myself either wishing it was over or watching Michael J. Fox to see if this movie was made before or after he started shaking. Anyway the story is about a psychic who cons people into paying him to remove ghosts from their homes that he put there in the first place, but then people start dying and he is pulled into the chaos and blamed for it when really it’s just a crazy killer come back from the dead and his crazy girlfriend who is still alive. He falls in love during the course of the movie and his new girlfriend is the next target so he has to save her and solve the mystery and live happily ever after. I had never seen this movie before, and it’s one I will never see again.

Flight of the Living Dead – or as John and I like to call it … Zombies on a Plane. Oh my where to even start with this one. I think the title is quite self explanatory. We rented this just for the laugh factor. We had seen the trailer for it on one of these other movies we had watched and thought it looked like such high quality film making that we should check it out. Ha ha. But we did get a good laugh and were highly entertained so if you’re looking for campy and extremely dumb then this is the movie for you.

2 comments:

Loran said...

WHAT! No Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown?

Anonnymouse said...

I LOVE GHOST SHIP!!!!!!