Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Desert Island Discs

I've been tagged by my favorite brother in-law Scott to play along, but I had seen this on Scott's friend Dave's website and had thought I'd do it anyway. So the basic idea as Dave puts it is "what albums would you want if you were stranded on a desert island that just happens to have a stereo and electricity but still no way to contact anyone for help".

There are a few rules that he decided to make:
*Only one album from each artist (forcing you to make some tough choices).
*No greatest hits or compilations of any kind (that would be cheating).
*Limit the list to 10.
* Ignore the iPod factor since it essentially makes this list obsolete.

It's not about the technology anyway, it's about the music! Plus "Desert Island Discs" sounds a lot snappier than "Desert Island Playlist."

These are in no order.

10. "The Phantom of the Opera" - Andrew Lloyd Webber, the Broadway version. I have always loved the music of Andrew Lloyd Webber, and the music of the Phantom of the Opera is a collection I could listen to over and over again. I believe this album was one of the first I ever purchesed when I joined the Columbia Record club oh, so many years ago.

Past the point of no return the final threshold - the bridge is crossed, so stand and watch it burn... We've passed the point of no return...

9. "Under The Table and Dreaming" - The Dave Matthews Band. One of the first "real" dates I went on after I turned 16 was to a Dave Matthews concert with my cute little buddy Eric Clark who I usually called Jack. He was a nice kid and took me to almost every Dave Matthews concert I ever went to. This Album has enough of a variety of songs to keep me entertained for quite a while.

Then i look up at the sky my mouth is open wide, lick and taste whats the use in worrying, whats the use in hurrying turn turn we almost become dizzy. I am who I am, who I am, well who am i? Requesting some enlightenment could I have been anyone other than me?

8. "Rattle and Hum" - U2 .This album contains my most favorite versions of Bullet the Blue Sky that I could listen to again and again. I have this album so memorize tht my husband often mocks me as I sing along with all the same emotional inflections that Bono has.

In the howling wind comes a stinging rain see it driving nails into souls on the tree of pain from the firefly, a red orange glow see the face of fear running scared in the valley below

7. "Life in Cartoon Motion" - Mika. A relitivly new addition to my CD collection I grew really attached to it really quickly. Mika has such a variety of styles on this CD and I think we listened to this in the car for a week straight, and it's one of the only CD's that got put on my iPod in it's entirety. Love It.

Walks in to the room Feels like a big balloon I said hey girl you are beautiful Diet coke and a pizza pleaseDiet coke Im on my knees Screaming, big girl you are beautiful

6. "EFY 2000: Foward With Faith" I got this album from my sister while I was on my mission and it got me through some rough patches when I'd have to sit in my room for hours in order to not say or do something to a companion that I might regret later. It's got a lot of good music that helps to remid you of the divinty of the Savior and helps to nurture faith.

He lives, all glory to his name! He lives, my savior, still the same; What joy this sweet sentance gives:I know that my Redeemer lives!

5. "Gordon" - Barenaked Ladies. Yes, there are other BNL albums that are better then this, but this album is sentimental to me. I love it.

If I Had $1000000 (If I Had $1000000) I'd buy you a green dress (but not a real green dress, that's cruel) If I Had $1000000 (If I Had $1000000) I'd buy you some art (a Picasso or a Garfunkel)If I Had $1000000 (If I Had $1000000) I'd buy you a monkey (haven't you always wanted a monkey?)If I Had $1000000 I'd buy your love...

4. "Upstairs at Eric's" - Yaz. This is an album I discovered about 12 years ago and have been in love with it ever since. I love Yaz. The beat is always great and the songs are catchy.

this is going to take a long time, and i wonder what's mine can't take no more, wonder if you'll understand, it's just the touch of your hand behind a closed door

3. "0898" - The Beautiful South. Out of the many choices I have by this band 0898 is my favorite. I got this from a boy once and fell madly in love with both. But alas, Mark was much to tall, rich and cocky for me, and he never did love me back and that's okay. At least we have the Beautiful South to show for it.

The perfect love song it has no words it only has death threats, And you can tell a classic ballad by how threatening it gets, So if you walk into your house and she's cutting up your mother, She's only trying to tell you that she loves you like no other, No other, she loves you like no other.

2. "Fairweather Johnson" - Hootie and the Blowfish. When you're in that pensive mood and just want good moody music to listen to Fairweather Johnson fits the bill. I went to the tour when it came to SLC with my sister and my older brother and fell inlove with the song Tootie. I could listen to this album forever and be happy.

Had a dream about you, You sat right down beside me, And you told me we were through, It was all so real and you told me reasons why, You brought me to the window, And you taught me how to fly.

1. "Firecracker" - Lisa Loeb. So many memories are associated with Lisa Loeb, and all good. I chose this out of my Lisa Collection because it has some of my most favorite songs on.

In an open room that echoes well, this is where I can tell you everything.

No comments: