Monday, August 18, 2008

The Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

 
One of the nephews texted me last night asking: Is there a book after the Eye of the World? I laughed and gave him the short answer last night (I was falling asleep at the time) But today I am going to give the long answer.
The Wheel of time series is made up of 11 (soon to be 12) books. All encompassing the world of Rand al'Thor and his friends on their quest to save the world from the Dark One and bring balance back to the One Power.
In the beginning There was Rand, Mat and Perrin and they went on an adventure with an Aes Sedai but that was only the beginning.
I was first introduced to these books by a dear friend of mine named Richard. He asked me to read them and I obeyed and found that I really liked them. When I started reading them there were only six books and I have re-read each of them as each new book has been released. Sadly, Robert Jordan passed away last year on September 16th throwing the Wheel into chaos but thanks to Brandon Sanderson who was hand picked to finish the series book 12 is scheduled to be out in the fall of 2009.
I admit, some of the books in the middle of the series can drag on and you start thinking "why am I still reading these" but one finds themselves pulled into the lives of the characters and into the world that is so full of imagery and you start rooting for the characters you want to succeed. When read as a whole the entire series flows well and even those books that you think you'll never make it through are an important part of how the Dragon Reborn finds himself and *hopefully* saves mankind in the end.
 
The following is a list of the books:
 
1.  The Eye of the World
2.  The Great Hunt
3.  The Dragon Reborn
4.  The Shadow Rising
5.  The Fires of Heaven
6.  Lord of Chaos
7.  A Crown of Swords
8.  The Path of Daggers
9.  Winter's Heart
10. Crossroads of Twilight
11. Knife of Dreams
12. A Memory of Light (to be released fall 2009)
 
prequel: New Spring
 
Companion books: The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time
 
Websites I check for WoT information:
 
 
I love these books. I have read each of them several times and I am sure that I will read them several more times in the future.
 
It's time to start again.

 

No comments: