Friday, August 15, 2008

I'm not a loon!

So... I often have a song stuck in my head that my husband doesn't believe really is a song and I am shocked that as a child of the 80's he didn't have the same opportunities to listen to the fantastic children's music that was out there.

I fondly remember as a child having mom put on the "I Have a Song for You" and listing to the good life lessons of "I'm a V.I.P. in my family, I'm a V.I.P you see!" or "Clap Clap Clap goes the thunder when it rains" or "Grandpa pa Grandpa pa I love my Grandpa pa"

But the song nearest and dearest to my heart is the "Sharing" song:

If I had a penny and you hadn't any
I'd buy a candy stick and let you have a lick
that's sharing sharing
everybody's caring caring
that's the thing to do.
If I had a stick of gum and you didn't have one
I'd break it right in two and give half of it to you
that's sharing sharing everybody's
caring caring that's the thing to do

I may not have the words right, but it really is the thought that counts. I loved listening to these songs as a kid, and as I have gotten older I have desired to have them for my own future generations, so after being mocked my my husband this morning for singing imaginary songs all I have to say to him is ... www.britemusic.com ... So There! pllltttttttt. (that's me giving him a raspberry)

I'm not crazy and I'm not just making up songs as I go. For that, I am buying the complete "I Have a Song for You" set and I'm going to make you listen to it on every road trip.

8 comments:

Alesha said...

I had those tapes too as a kid! I remember all of those songs!

Anonymous said...

I remember most of these songs, I'm surprised that John doesn't!! I thought it was a local requirement. My mom always sang the walk a little faster song to me because I was a slow walker. And who could forget the when you tell one lie song! :)

Becky said...

Wow, that brings back memories. - Jacob. Becky also remembers listening to those tapes on a fisher price brown tape player.

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

Um, yeah you are not crazy. I lived for those songs! Was John raised in a barn? Another planet? What is his excuse!?

Anonymous said...

I actually have a number of those songs on a record... yes a record. I even have a Big Bird record player to play them on. Aren't you jealous? ;)

CityGirl said...

Oh my gosh thank you so much for this post. I have ALSO been torturing husband for years with the VIP song and he thought I was nuts and that was making it up ha ha! You have ended a long search that I've been on to find these songs. I don't even have children yet but I think I'm going to get them anyway!!

Thanks again!!!!

MaryLynn Bennett said...

Did you get the songs?? I've been searching for them with no luck, the website she linked to no longer exists!