Thursday, January 27, 2011

So much to do ... so little motivation

Somewhere inside of me I have a crafty homemaker that struggles to get out. Periodically I have this great desire to do something crafty. I want to paint, I want to sew, I want to scrap book, I want to make jewelry, I want to do woodwork, I want to draw, I want to crochet, I want to make beautiful things... but I have this overwhelming feeling that there just aren't enough hours in the day and that time and life and expectations are too pressing on me and I just start to feel like I can't accomplish anything. So nothing gets done.
I'm sure a lot of it has to do with my need for sleep. I'm just lazy I suppose, or perhaps depression and being over weight have something to do with it too. there is also the rationalization that "we don't have kids so we can do whatever we want with our time." But that's really just an excuse to be more lazy. Lets take a look at my daily schedule so you can get an idea of what I do every day:
My days start when my alarm goes off at 5:00 am... I don't usually get out of bed until 5:30.  I go to work for 8 hours a day. I have a 1 hour commute each way to and from work. I get home around 4:00 - 4:30. Check the mail, shovel the walk (if needed,) clean various things, maybe lay down for a little bit. I make dinner, we usually eat between 5:30-6:00. After dinner I'm usually tired.
Then what? I usually retire to the bedroom to watch a movie or TV, or the TV room to use the laptop. Then by 8:00 - 8:30 I'm done with my day and I decide it's time for bed. so I go to bed; sometimes I fall asleep at 8:30, but other times I stay awake (and in bed) until 10:00 pm when I finally fall asleep. I'll not even get into how we spend our weekends. Lets just say they are less then productive.
I need to make my time between 4:30 and 10:00 more productive. I need to learn to budget my time so that things can be accomplished and I can feel like I have fulfilled my time with something.
I have decided that I need to make a chart for myself. It needs to be blocked out in time frames: From this to this I will clean this. From this to this I will work on this. from this to this I will do this. It needs to be separated into days of the week. I need specific days to clean specific rooms of the house, or to work on specific projects. I need to be scheduled out completely so that I always know what I should be doing. Maybe this way I'll be able to be productive until a reasonable bed time for a 32 year old adult. 
 
Does any one else have this type of problem, or is it just me? 
Do you have a life schedule?
Does anyone want to share their life schedule with me?
 
** Here are some of the craft projects I am working on that I'd like to finish at some point this year:
 
Crocheting -
1 - I'd like to make all 16 items in my "I Taught Myself To Crochet" book. Two down 14 more to go.
2 - Make a blanket for the babies I know this year. So far it's just baby-boy-razee, but it's still only January.
 
Sewing -
1 - Work on my Halloween Quilt. I'd like to say finish it, but that's wishful thinking. I'd at least like to finish getting the squares cut out.
2 - Storage Bags. I have several small Items that need homes. Draw-string storage bags seem like they'd be a good solution. I'll need at least 3.
 
Scrap Booking and the like -
1 - Big Bad Jesus Book for my sister and adorable niece. I need more pictures of the Life of Christ.
2 - Scan Negatives into computer to preserve my photographs digitally.
 
What kind of craft projects are you working on this year?

4 comments:

Becky said...

we are SO scheduled around my house. This is just my cleaning schedule:

Monday: Laundry and bedrooms
Tuesday: Bathrooms
Wednesday: Laundry and Kitchen
Thursday: Family and livingrooms
Friday: Playroom, craftroom and Laundry
*the rooms are vacumed or moped every week.

This year I added a room a month and saturdays we super clean that room (clean out closets, wash walls and touch up paint)

January: Matherbedroom
February: Bathrooms
March: Laundry room
April: Kitchen
May: Yard
June: Garage
July: kids rooms
August: Wash Windows
September: Family room
October: craft/ tool room
November: Storage
December: Toy room

We also have a daily schedule with home work, chill time and dinner.

This may sound crazy but it works for us and is the only way to get things done.

Unknown said...

That's brilliant Becky. I have been thinking about doing that for us for the last few months... I think I may have seen a list on your wall once when we were over there that inspired me... But I just haven't found the time (ha ha) to get it done. I guess I need to schedule in some scheduling time. Thanks for sharing your schedule with me. :)
May be it will inspire me again.

Gretchen said...

I love making schedules, and I do it all the time. Following them is something else all together.

Also, visiting friends would be a productive use of time. Especially the ones you haven't seen in forever who keep meaning to invite you over. Maybe I will remember sometime in March.

I just learned to crochet last year. I made a blanket for my son, but I am only doing burp clothes for friends. They don't take nearly as long. I am also cross-stitching Christmas stockings. Allen already had one (hence the project) I just finished one, so I have two more to do. I am like you. I have so much that I want to do and then I get so bogged down with work, kids, etc, that I just want to watch t.v. and hope someone else feels like cooking.

Unknown said...

Gretchen!! You're alive!
We haven't heard from you in a while. I at least expect to hear from you at Christmas to help update your address but the last few years have been Gretchenless.