Thursday, January 20, 2011

Eating with Liz 2011 - Braised Short Ribs

I have found the most interesting blog. I don’t think I could call myself a “blog follower” for any of the blogs I actually look at, and most of those are just family and friends, but I have recently discovered Cooking With My Kid and the fun and wonderful world of new recipes (okay, discovering new recipes isn’t really new to me.) I check back every couple of days, and usually I find at least one recipe to print and try in my own home. I think I would definitely say I'm following this one.

 

The recipes that are given on this website are healthy and different and everything we have tried has been pretty tasty. Just ask John. also the recipes are pretty kid friendly. So even though I don't have kids of my own I feel that if I did, I'd be willing to not only feed this stuff to my kids, but I’d let them help as well.

 

This is the recipe we tried for dinner last night:

Crock Pot Braised Short Ribs Recipe
Prep Time:
20 mins  Cooking Time: 5 to 7 hours

Ingredients:
3/4  cup  low-sodium soy sauce
6 tablespoons packed  brown sugar
6 tablespoons  rice vinegar
3  cloves crushed garlic
1/4 cup orange juice
zest of 1 small orange
16  beef short ribs
8  medium carrots, peeled and cut in thirds on the diagonal
1  large green cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
3  tablespoons cornstarch

In a medium bowl, whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, garlic, orange juice, and orange zest. Line the bottom of the crock pot with carrots. Place the short ribs atop the carrots and lay the cabbage on top. Pour the soy mixture over the top and cover.

Cook, covered, on high for 5 to 6 hours (or on low for 7 to 8 hours), until the meat is tender and easily pulls away from the bone. Transfer the cabbage, short ribs, and carrots to a large serving dish. Skim the fat from the cooking liquid and discard.

In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water until smooth. With the slow cooker on high, whisk the corn starch into the cooking liquid and cook until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Spoon the sauce over the short ribs and vegetables.

Serves 8.

I only made 12 short ribs without the bone, but that seemed to be enough for 5 or 6.  We had my girlfriend Holly over for dinner and there were enough leftovers for our lunches today.

 

So, what did we think of this recipe??

Well… it was pretty tasty. The carrots, meat and sauce were all really good, but no one was very fond of the cabbage. John and Holly were good sports in eating it, but I am pretty sure it wasn’t their favorite part.

The next time I do this recipe I think we’ll either skip the cabbage, or perhaps just have it boiled with butter on the side. Maybe instead of cabbage a nice side salad would be good. This also would have been good to have with some nice crusty bread. Mmmm.

No comments: