Thursday, January 20, 2011

Eating with Liz 2011 - Cheese Soup

More food for thought…. This was the new recipe we tried last week. It was rather good. I'll have to work on my cheese sauce skills, but this is something we'll have again. John even liked it, and he is very against the eating of broccoli. As Dr. Hibbert on the Simpsons says about broccoli: "Oh, yes, one of the deadliest plants on earth. Why, it tries to warn you itself with it's terrible taste."
But it's really not.

Cheddar Cheese Soup with Zucchini, Broccoli, and Carrots


2 Tbsp. butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
(I use freeze dried garlic)
1/2 medium zucchini, grated
1 carrot, peeled and grated
(I just buy pre-shredded carrots and then chop them into smaller pieces)1/2 onion, grated (I used one small onion)1 head broccoli, chopped into mini florets
3 c. chicken broth
(I used 1 can chicken broth and 1 can vegetable broth)
2 Tbsp. butter
1/4 c. flour
2 c. milk
2 c. grated cheddar cheese
Salt & pepper to taste

In large saucepot, melt butter. Add garlic, zucchini, carrots and onion. Sauté until veggies are tender. Stir in broccoli and broth. Simmer until broccoli is tender. Meanwhile, in another large pot, melt butter. Whisk in flour and cook for a minute or two. Whisk in milk until smooth. Simmer until thickened. Whisk in cheddar cheese. Incorporate vegetable mixture into cheese sauce, whisking until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.


When I found this recipe the person who submitted it stated that it freezes well… I have the leftovers in my freezer, but I have tried reheating it yet. I guess we'll find out.

No comments: