Monday, November 14, 2011

Movies: The Month of Musicals

John hasn't seen a lot of the classic musicals... and it turns out I haven't seen as many as I thought I had. November has been designated Musical Month and that is what we have been watching.
 
Singin' In The Rain (1952) - Interpretive dance... Ugh! For the most part this movie was pretty good. It dragged on at times, but for the most part is was alright.
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971) - What a fun movie. I hadn't seen this version for years and I love it.
The Music Man (1962) - Love this version of the movie. Robert Preston is my favorite Harold Hill.
Annie Get Your Gun (1950) - I hadn't seen this before. It's a bit cheesy but it has a lot of familiar songs in that I had never known where they had come from.
Oklahoma (1955) - I know this is supposed to be a classic, but neither of us liked it. It was too long and convoluted. Neither of us can stand interpretive dance. This is full of it.
Captain America (2011) - What? This isn't a musical? That's what I said, but in our rationalization John convinced me that there *is* a musical number in it so it is semi appropriate for musical month.
 
 

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

What is it Captain America says when the men want the girls to come back, "I think they only know the one number" I can see how this might be considered a musical. In case he can't remember John has seen Evita. They made me rewind the part where they blow up a train. It was the only part of the movie any of my guy friends enjoyed.