Friday, November 4, 2011

Eating with Liz 2011 - Spiced Honey Broiled Thighs

Oh, My… It's been an entire month without a recipe from me. How sad. October just turned out to be super crazy, and it's finally winding down after the first few days of November. We'll have to enjoy this nice breather though because its almost time for the three months of horror starting with Thanksgiving. Here's hoping that we can bear it well and come out on the other side of Valentine's day the better for our trials.

 

On with the recipe.

 

Spiced Honey Broiled Thighs

 

2 t garlic powder

2 t chili powder

1 t cumin

1 t paprika

½ t ground red pepper

1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs

6 T honey

2 t cider vinegar

Cooking spray

 

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Add thighs and toss to coat. Place chicken on a sprayed broiler pan and broil 5-7 minutes on each side. Combine honey and vinegar in a small bowl. Remove chicken from oven and brush with honey mixture. Broil 1 minute; remove chicken and turn over. Brush with remaining honey mixture and broil 1 more minute or until chicken is done.

 

 

Stuffing

6 oz box stuffing

Serve with stuffing prepared according to package directions.

 

Steamed Vegetable

½ head cauliflower or broccoli , steamed

(Ranch dressing)

Steam vegetables and stir in 1/8 c ranch dressing before serving.

 

Now, on to the goods and bads I did with this recipe:

 

I used White Wine Vinegar. I do not have any Cider Vinegar in my house. I hadn't ever needed it before. So after a brief Google search of what I could use as a substitute I ended up using some White Wine Vinegar that I happened to have in my cupboard.

I used two shakes of Cayenne Pepper. I have red pepper flakes, but no ground red pepper. And since I am neither ambitious nor do I own a pestle, I just used Cayenne Pepper that was already in my spice rack.

I didn't buy bone-less thighs. I don't think this made any difference at all. 1 lb of thighs came out to be 4 thighs and that worked out perfect for us.

Instead of a "large bowl" I put my spices in a bag and tossed the chicken in. This didn't work as well as I had hoped. Two pieces of chicken got really covered, and two were only lightly coated. Next time I'll use a plate.

 

This recipe was fairly easy and fast. I did have to have some help from John with my timing of it all. I think that if I do it again I'll prepare everything BEFORE I put the meat in the oven. I had to have John flip the chicken while I scrounged through the cupboards for more honey.

It seems that I always forget to check the bottom of my shopping list for the "staple" items that I may not have enough of.

Also, next time, I'll lower my oven rack another level and let the chicken cook a little longer.

I microwaved my Stovetop Stuffing, and we didn't make any veggies. Over all it was pretty good.

 

 

 

If you're interested in looking at www.e-mealz.com for yourself, please use me as a reference. I could get free stuff out of it. Click on the picture below.

 

 

I <3 Emealz
 
 

(and thanks to whoever it was that signed up for e-mealz using my link. It saved me $3 off my renewal fee. That's always appreciated. You should let me know how you are liking it.)

No comments: