Thursday, November 17, 2011

Eating With Liz 2011 - Pumpkin Bread

In the spirit of the season of harvest, I have made the following item for my new recipe this week:

Pumpkin Bread

1½ cup Flour
½ tsp Salt
1 cup Sugar
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 cup Pumpkin puree
½ cup Oil
2 Eggs beaten
¼ cup Water
½ tsp Nutmeg
½ tsp Cinnamon
½ tsp Allspice
½ cup Walnuts (optional)

preheat oven to 350o.
Sift together flour, salt, sugar and baking soda.
Mix the pumpkin, oil, eggs, water and spices together, then combine with dry ingredients, but do not mix thoroughly.
Pour batter into a well buttered loaf pan. Bake 50 - 60 minutes until a skewer poked into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Makes 1 loaf.

This recipe comes from the Fannie Farmer Cookbook that I have talked about before. I love this book. This bread turned out really yummy.
I actually forgot to add the oil, (I find I do that a lot recently,) but the bread still turned out really good. I'm not sure what the point of oil in a recipe is for, but apparently forgetting it isn't detrimental to the entire recipe.
What really inspired me to make this bread? The tupperware full of pumpkin puree I had in my refrigerator. A while ago I made some pumpkin cookies and the recipe only called for ¼ cup of pumpkin, but as we all know canned pumpkin does not come in small cans, so I had a ton of pumpkin left over. I had been trying to think of what I could make with the extra puree… and I decided that bread was a good idea.  I had enough left over pumpkin to make two batches.
I didn't add the nuts. Yuck! And like I said, I forgot the oil, but it is pretty yummy.
I baked this for 50 minutes and I think that was just about right for my oven. The edges of the bread were actually starting to get a little crusty and browned so I pulled it out just in time.

No comments: