Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Book Review

The Silver Chair (The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 6) by C.S. Lewis

 

It was the most difficult 256 pages I have ever read. I honestly thought I would never finish this book. I started reading this nearly 3 months ago and I was having the hardest time caring if I finished it or not (this is quite a feat for me as I can't leave a book half read). But I finally made it through and from beginning to end I just wasn't as impressed with this installment as I had been with the others.

 

First of all, I miss Lucy and the other Pevensie children. Eustace and Jill are horrible characters with nothing to redeem their characters.

 

The book starts out with Jill Pole hiding behind the gym crying because she is being picked on when Eustace comes along and betwixt the two of them they are magically transported to Narnia when Jill promptly pushed Eustace off a cliff where Aslan has to come in and save him from falling and immediately you get a lecture about being a better person and doing your best.

 

They are then sent on a quest to rescue the Prince (Caspian's son) and Jill is given instructions that Aslan asks her to memorize and then she promptly forgets them.

 

To make long story short Jill and Eustace are helped by the owls to the marsh-wiggles and finally the trolls who live underground in killing the witch and returning the prince to his father who promptly dies (Caspian, not the prince) and ruins the ending of an otherwise already ruined book.

 

Jill and Eustace then decide it's not fun anymore and want to go home. So Aslan takes them back to his land where they meet up with a resurrected Prince Caspian who now lives with Aslan forever. blah blah blah the end.

 

no, I didn't like this book very much.

4 comments:

Chandler M. said...

I hated that book. I absolutely love the Chronicles of Narnia. I've read the whole series at least a billion times [starting at the begining in the morning and ending the last one at night] and I hate the silver chair. I usually just skip it. A waste of the paper it was printed on.

Loran said...

Why do you torture yourself? Why?

Anonymous said...

I've never read the set but A. is on book 3 and so far loves them.

Unknown said...

the rest of them were very good. This one ... not so much.