Friday, March 9, 2012

Eating with Liz 2012 - Sausage & Cabbage Soup

It's that time again. I know you missed it… Here is the recipe of the day brought to you by www.emeals.com and the Portion Control Menu for Two. If you're interested in signing up for emeals.com please use the link at the bottom of this post so that I can be your referral.

 

Sausage & Cabbage Soup

Serving size 1.5 cup

3 servings

 

7 oz smoked turkey sausage, diced ½ inch cubes

1 c shredded coleslaw w/ carrots blend

2 green onions, sliced

3 c chicken broth

¼ t onion powder

⅛ t celery salt

⅛ t pepper

dash of nutmeg

hot sauce to taste

½ c uncooked small macaroni

 

In a sprayed stock pot, sauté sausage, coleslaw & green onions 4-5 min or until veggies are tender. Add broth & seasonings; bring to boil. Stir in macaroni; cook & stir often, 7-8 min or until macaroni is tender. Add hot sauce to taste. Serving: 1 ½ cup

 

 

Toasted Tortillas

Serving size: ½ large tortilla

 

1 ½ large soft taco size flour tortillas

No-stick spray

Seasoned salt

 

Spray tortillas with no-stick spray and sprinkle with seasoned salt to your taste. Cut into wedges; bake @ 350 until lightly browned.

 

~*~

 

This was oddly delicious. At first look at the recipe John said to me: "I wont eat that." But I told him that I would so it would be made and he'd just have to suffer through it. Well the recipe waited and waited for a week and a half to be made and finally last night we needed to use the cabbage in the fridge or else… so this got made.

 

What did I do differently:

 

Kielbasa Sausage. We've discovered that this has so much more flavor than the smoked sausage so when the choice comes up we usually buy he Kielbasa.

 

Celery. I didn't have any celery salt in the house and since it's not something I use often I opted not to buy any. I did have celery in my fridge so I used 1 stalk of celery diced up and thrown in at the beginning with everything else. And then some salt. I think it tasted just fine.

 

Chicken Broth. I added two 14.5oz cans. I didn't feel like measuring out 3 cups. This worked out just fine. Also, I think that if you don't cover you pot while boiling you loose a lot of liquid in the condensation.

 

Hot Sauce. I added about 4 shakes of Tabasco to the soup while it was cooking. When served I put the Tabasco on the table for an option. It seemed that John and I both added about 3 additional shakes to the soup to add a bit more flavor.

 

For the baked tortillas:

 

Olive Oil Cooking Spray. The regular cooking spray always smells like tuna to me so I don't use it very often. I did recently buy a can of Olive Oil Spray that I have grown rather fond of. (also, fyi, the baking spray is fantastic for cakes and whatnot.)

 

Kosher Salt. This salt is rather nice. It doesn't have so much of that "salty" flavor to it.

 

~*~

 

In the end dinner was quite tasty. It was fast. It probably only took about 20 minutes tops from beginning to end. It was filling. And as John pointed out, it seemed very Irish with the cabbage. Perhaps this could be our new St. Patrick's Day go-to food instead of Bangers and Mash.

 
I <3 eMeals

No comments: