Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Eating with Liz 2012 - Chicken Noodle Soup

It's time for another recipe. I have been bad at this so far this year because we have been in the process of buying a house… We found a house. We love it. We're looking on closing on it by the end of the month!! Stay tuned for more information. Here is a recipe for you to try out this week.

 

Classic Chicken Noodle Soup

 

1½ c uncooked egg noodles

Rotisserie chicken, meat pulled off in bite size pieces

4 c water

2 c carrots, sliced thin

2 c celery, chopped

1 T salt

½ t sugar

dash of pepper

4 chicken bouillon cubes

 

Cook noodles as directed on package. Heat all ingredients to boiling; reduce heat and cover. Simmer, stirring often, until vegetables are soft; approximately 30-45 minutes. Add more water if needed.

 

 

This is our recipe for this week. It was really good. Here is what I did differently.

1 T salt is A LOT. I only used 1 tsp. When I make this again I wont add any salt. The bouillon is salty enough.

I used about 6 c water instead of 4. After it was cooked and eaten and I was putting way for lunches I added about 1 c water to each Tupperware. This evened out the flavor on the leftovers nicely. Next time I think I'll just start with 8 cups.

The recipe says to cook noodles separately. This I didn't do. I let the chicken and veggies cook for about 30 minutes. Then I added the noodles directly to the soup. This saved time, and pans, and the noodles were able to absorb the chicken broth rather than just a pan of salty water for cooking pasta.

 

I baked some Pillsbury Croissants that were in my fridge and put those in the oven when I added the noodles to the soup. This timed out perfectly.

 

The soup was good the first and second time, and I think this recipe will be added to my recipe book for use again one day.

No comments: