Monday, October 17, 2011

Halloween Movie Month 2011

Red Riding Hood (2011) - This movie was alright. Not as good as we wanted it to be, but not as bad as we expected. It really did keep you guessing who the werewolf was for most of the movie.
 
Goonies (1985) - Really liked this movie. I don't think I'd seen this once since the 80's, and John had never seen it, so it was pretty much a new experience for us. We were taken aback by the foul mouthed children at the beginning of the film, but it was pretty tame for today's standards. The adventure was great and the plot was simple. This is a great movie for a good night in.
 
The Addams Family (1991) - I hadn't seen this movie until I married John. He really enjoyed it, and now so do I. Its silly and spooky and just a little ookey... Whatever, it's the Addams Family. It an easy laugh in the midst of horror movie watching that we really enjoy.
 
Gremlins (1984) - Wow, Cory Feldman sure aged between this movie and Goonies a year later.. Also, why are so many Halloween movies centered around Christmas. Anyway. this movie is still pretty awesome. I have to point out that the animatronics for Gizmo are amazing for this being 1984. What a cute little guy. I promise that if someone gets me one for Christmas I'll follow all the rules.
An American Werewolf In London - John watched this one without me. That's okay though, because we own it, and I've seen it before.
 
The Mummy (1999) - I absolutely love this movie. It is full of action, adventure and so many memorable lines... Do you swear? Every damn day. He he. Definitely one I'd recommend for anyone's movie watching pleasure.
 
My Bloody Valentine (1981) - Entertaining. Bloody. Cheesy. Not as horrific as I expected. One thing I do appreciate about these 1980's horror films is that the directors still knew how to leave some of the violence to the viewers imagination. And would you believe it, a whole movie without nudity. Wow. I was pleasantly surprised since the 2009 version was full of naked (we watched that one last year.) If you're going to watch a version of this movie I suggest the 1981 version.
 
Stir of Echoes (1999) - This was better than expected. Kevin Bacon, after being hypnotized starts seeing ghosts and has to solve a mystery with the knowledge he has gained. This runs along the same vein as What Lies Beneath, The Sixth Sense, and The Other's. If you liked those, chances are you'll enjoy this one.
 
Night Fright (1967) - We spent the entire movie waiting for Elvira or the Mystery Science Theater guys to pop in, but sadly we got the actual movie and not one with commentary. I guess 1967 was really just that lame. It took forever to get to the point of them movie and apparently John fast-forwarded a bit while I was out of the room. In the end, after waiting so long, the monster was destroyed very anticlimactically.
 
The Signal (2007) - I randomly picked this from the free Amazon Prime movies on our Blu-Ray... It was questionable on if it was any good. For the most part it was entertaining. Confusing, yes. But entertaining. It's shown in three segments and each once makes you doubt what came before and then the ending confused the heck out of us. Was it a *happy* ending or wasn't it. I don't know, I was too lost. This one was full of foul language and a naked but within the first 10 minutes.

No comments: