Monday, October 3, 2011

Eating With Liz 2011 - Baked Turkey Rolls

I haven't been posting recipes lately… I'm sorry to any of you who are paying attention and/or even care. We have had an interesting last few months. Either I've been sick or John's been sick or we've both been sick … needless to say that hasn't led to us eating much at home or doing a lot of house work… so our house is dirty, our bank account isn't too happy with us, and I failed on making a new recipe for a few weeks. I just haven't figured out how to make dinner and be sick at the same time… I just don't think it works.
We are still participating with http://www.e-mealz.com/. We've gotten used to is over the last six months (wholly cow! Six months!) The food has gotten better and we're learning the use of seasoning to make something edible. It's been great. The last three months we've been using the Low-Carb menu, and let me just say that's been a lot of meat. We've decided that we can't do that much meat. With this last renewal we've gone back to the standard menu and look forward to more variation in dinner time.
I'm still amazed at the amount of money we save every shopping trip, and it is SO nice to be able to come home from work and have dinner all figured out for me already so we don't have to stare at each other and do the:
"What do you want for dinner?"
"I don't know. What do you want for dinner?"
"I don't know. What do you want for dinner?"
"I asked you first. What do you want for dinner?"
I don't know. What do you want for dinner?"
 
It's a life saver. Nice thing about it as well is that most of the meal take 30 minutes or less, and some stuff can be prepped a head of time. (Like when a meal calls for ½ pound beef I'll cook the entire pound and put half in the fridge for another meal that is coming up. It's amazing how much time just doing that saves.)

Anyway – I'm stop doting on e-mealz and just get to the recipe we liked this last week:
BAKED TURKEY ROLLS

2-3 slices turkey bacon
12-16 oz turkey cutlets, pounded very thin
Garlic salt
Black pepper
2-3 slices provolone cheese
½ c Milk
1 c whole wheat crackers, crushed

Preheat oven to 350o. Cook bacon in skillet. Let cool; crumble. Lay turkey cutlets flat; season with garlic salt and pepper. Layer each piece with bacon bits and a slice of cheese. Roll up. Dip in milk; coat with crushed crackers. Place on baking sheet, seam side down. Cover loosely with foil and bake about 25 min.

 
Green Beans
½ lb green beans
(Olive oil)
(Salt/pepper)

Wash and prepare beans. Steam green beans in an inch of water until crisp-tender. Season with oil, salt and pepper to taste.

What did I do differently:
I didn't buy turkey bacon. I used regular bacon.
I used club crackers instead of wheat.
 
 
I know. Two not very big changes, but the result was really pretty good. We ate this with the suggested green beans and a side salad. It almost looked like a real meal when set out on the plate.
I <3 Emealz

1 comment:

Becky said...

Crock pots, that how I cook sick, or when I am busy and on laundry days.