Sunday, February 20, 2011

I should be tired

On Saturday I... Woke up. Fed the cats two kinds of food. Made lunch, sent John to work. Did the grocery shopping, laundry and the Relief Society Newsletter. Washed all the dishes, by hand and in the dishwasher, including the cats water bowl. Cleaned the litter box. Moved all the stuff out of the bathroom. Swept the kitchen, hallway, bathroom, laundry room. Scrubbed the mildew off the bathroom walls. Washed the hallway walls. (But not the ceiling. I personally don’t really believe in cleaning ceilings but mine are REALLY gross. They were dirty when we moved in 8 years ago and with the combination of the base grossness plus the swamp cooler they're unbearable now... besides, we're working towards painting them.) Scrubbed a few pieces of the floor on my hands and knees. Folded the laundry... took a 30 minute nap… then after that i scrubbed the tub and the toilet and had to put everything back where I found it... By the end of the evening I had a migraine. Surprise! And it was only 9:00PM so I went to bed.
I guess the steam mop and vacuum have to wait until Monday.
Now it’s Sunday and I've been wide awake since 2 AM... you'd think with everything I did yesterday I would have slept most of the day away. I lay in bed as long as I could… until 5:30 AM and then got up to make this recipe for my new food of the week:

French Onion Soup
Cooktime: 30 minutes active - 8-10 hours total servings 6 – 8

4-5 onions, sliced
3 T olive oil
2 bay leaves
48 oz (4 cans) vegetable broth (beef broth or beef/chicken broth mix)
French baguette
Gruyere Cheese
S & P to taste

Toss sliced onions with olive oil. Add onions and bay leaves to crock pot and cook for 3-4 hours. Stir and add water or stock if you think they are too dry. If not, continue cooking for another 3-4 hours. Add stock and continue cooking for 30 minutes longer.

Slice baguette and brush both sides with olive oil. Toast for 10 minutes in 350° oven.

Slice cheese.

When soup is finished cooking, ladle into oven-proof bowls. Place one or two baguettes on the top and top with cheese slices. Broil for 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve immediately.

Note: The cup or bowl should be filled all the way to the top with the soup. You will also want the croutons to fit the top of your cup/bowl like a lid. (they can be cut and pieced in to fit) Now you can add the cheese and broil. This method allows you to push the cheese into the soup with your spoon.

We'll see how this turns out later. It looks like we'll be having it for lunch today.

Who knew John's second job would make me so productive. I don't really know if it was energy that got me all through that, or just loneliness.

No comments: