Liz’s Apple Crisp
8 apples - peeled, cored, sliced – Good choices: Cortlands, Jonathan, Jonagold, Pippin, Gravenstein, Braeburn, Fuji and Pink Lady Apples (Use one kind or mix them.)
2 TBSP Butter for greasing pan
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar (white or brown, or a combination thereof)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
½ cup Oatmeal
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter cut in small pieces
· Preheat oven 350 F
· Make Topping First - Combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. Add butter. With a pastry blender or your fingers, rub butter into other ingredients until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
· Butter a 1½ quart baking dish, and spread the apples in it. Set aside.
· Melt ½ cup butter in a sauce pan. Once butter is melted stir in flour to form a paste. Add white sugar, brown sugar and water; bring to a boil. Reduce temperature, and simmer 5 minutes.
· Gently pour the caramel liquid over the apples.
· Spread mixture evenly over apples
· Bake 30 minutes or until the crust is browned.
* I also like to make large quantities of the topping, minus the butter, and store it in a jar for later use. That way I can make a small batch when I feel like it. Just add butter.