Friday, December 30, 2011

Eating with Liz 2011 - Potato Sausage Soup

Here we are at the end of the year and this is the last recipe. I've been really bad about posting recipes the last several months, but it's the holidays and I'm sure everyone understands how that goes. I would like to report that I have succeeded in cooking something new at least once a week for the entire year. Good job for me. I feel that John and I have eaten a little healthier this year and I'm pretty proud of that. Here's hoping we can continue to do even better next year.

Here is the final recipe of 2011. I didn't actually make this one. John did. He let me play video games all day and he took care of everything. He's such a good husband.

Potato Sausage Soup

 

1½ T butter

¾ c onion, chopped

¼ c celery, chopped

6-8 oz smoked sausage, diced

¼ c flour

½ t dried parsley flakes

½ t dried basil

Salt and pepper to taste

1 ½ c chicken broth

1 lb potatoes, peeled, diced (I bought a 1lb. bag of mini-red potatoes.)

¾ c sour cream

 

Melt butter in skillet on medium-high heat; add onion, celery and sausage; cook until sausage is browned.  Stir in flour until smooth; add seasonings. Blend in chicken broth; add diced potatoes, cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in sour cream and continue cooking until heated through.

 

Sliced Celery Sticks

 

Sliced celery sticks

Peanut Butter

 

Spread sliced celery with peanut butter.

 

Biscuits

 

Frozen biscuits

Butter

 

Cook biscuits according to instructions; top w/ butter.

Okay – So that's the recipe.

When John had gotten it nearly done he called me in for some help… He'd let the food simmer on too high of heat and most of the liquid had gone out of it. With a little ingenuity we added about another 1½ cups of water and stirred it in and then let it all come back up to temperature. It turned out pretty good.

 

What did John do differently?

He added pepper and only a little salt because the sausage is usually salty enough. In the end it could have used some more pepper.

 

What would I do differently next time?

I'd use Kielbasa Sausage or maybe Italian flavored ground sausage. The smoked sausage just didn't seem to have enough flavor to balance out the flavor of the rest of the ingredients.

I'd probably add that extra 1½ cup of water to the recipe. It didn't hurt it, and it actually still had a really thick broth after adding the extra water.

 

 

Again, a big thanks to E-Mealz.com for helping getting things on track. If you're interested use the link below to sign up so I can get some credit for it.

SAVE TIME AND MONEY WITH E-MEALZ MEAL PLANS

No comments: