Thursday, March 3, 2011

Eating with Liz 2011 - Basic Green Beans

Hi All,
I haven't forgotten about my goal to cook one new recipe a week. It's just been crazy so I haven't had time to blog about it. Last week we had a full out Pot-Roast Dinner. There was the Roast I made in the Crock Pot with sliced carrots and onions that I let cook all day. Mmm Mmmm. then once I was home from work I set about preparing the rest of dinner. I made roasted potato wedges in the oven with some olive oil and Mrs. Dash... (I don't know that I'll use the Mrs. Dash again it was too much spice.) And then I made something that I have never made before. Are you ready for this?
 

Basic Method for Cooking Green Beans

From the Fannie Farmer Cookbook

 

1 lb fresh Green Beans

Butter

Salt

Freshly ground pepper

 

Wash the beans and remove the ends and strings, if there are any. Leave them whole or cut them in diagonal strips. Drop them into a large pot of boiling water and boil them gently until done, allowing about 5-10 minutes, depending on the size and age of the beans. Taste one to see if it is done; it should still be very crunchy. Drain the beans and rinse them thoroughly on cold water to stop the cooking. Reheat them in lots of butter, salt, and pepper just before serving.

 

Sure, I have had green beans before, but they have always come from a can, or a freezer, or on a plate next to my steak. But I had never had to cook fresh ones on my own. So this was new. I'm not really even sure why I bought them this way. I think I walked by them at the store and thought they looked yummy... so I bought a pound.

They got shuffled around in the fridge for several days before I finally decided what we were going to eat them with but once I pulled them out and stared at the produce bag I realized that I had no idea what I was supposed to do with them. I quickly crossed the kitchen and stared at my shelf of cookbooks and wondered to myself which one would tell me what I needed.... so I reached for the one I seem to use the most.

I got this recipe out of the Fannie Farmer Cookbook that I stole from my mother many, many years ago. (Face it, I have probably used it more than she ever would have.) I LOVE this cookbook and I wouldn't give it back for anything. 

Well, after all that I finally got my water boiling, my beans snapped and cooked and dosed in butter... and dinner was so good. It was colorful, and balanced and very, very tasty.

Let me just say... I don't think I'll ever go back to the canned and frozen stuff. My eyes have been opened to the yummy-ness of real green beans. In fact, I may plant myself some bean plants and grow my own.

No comments: