Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Eating with Liz 2011 - Cheesecake Filling

This week has been full of... stuff. Between my mother-in-law having knee surgery, and John starting a new part-time job I have realized that there is not a single day this week that I'll be able to make a new recipe for us to eat. So instead of a new recipe today I'm going to share something new I found.
 - Philadelphia Ready-to-Eat Cheesecake Filling - 
I saw  this in a freezer case at the store several weeks ago and I showed it to John jokingly saying, "I wonder how this tastes?" Then, about three days later my sister-in-law texted me a picture of it from the store with just about the same sentiment. After thinking about it for a while we decided to buy some yesterday.
I must say... cheese cake in a tub is quite yummy. Nom nom nom.
At first I thought, hmmm, I can use Nilla Wafers and make mini-cheesecakes in cupcake papers, or dipping some strawberries or granola or spreading it on gram crackers, oooo whipping it up and using it for frosting on cakes and cinnamon rolls or... or... or... There are so many good ideas to use this with. Its a cheese cake lovers dream.  
Let me tell you though, I did not look at the nutritional information. I don't care how much sugar, carbs, fat, hydrogenated oils or dead puppies are included in this stuff. It's just plain yummy.
Last night after dinner we were craving something sweet and I thought: Ah-ha! I have cheese cake filling in the fridge. I took 3 spoons full of cheesecake, added a few Nilla Wafers and some sugar cookies and wah-la! Instant dessert.
It has the same taste as one of those instant cheesecake mixes that you get out of the box. The filling does have little bit of a tangy flavor that some people might not like, but I found that it wasn't so bad. I also found though that three spoons full were just a little too much. Next time I'll just do two. 
There's your dessert idea for the week. It's easy and tasty and one of those things to have in the fridge for one of "those" kind of days.

I think I'll try making this recipe with my filling... now, I just need to get to the store somehow.

Cheesecake Chocolate-Covered Strawberries

Ingredients:
Whole Strawberries Cheesecake Chocolate-Covered Strawberries
Philadelphia Ready-To-Eat Cheesecake filling
Good Quality Dipping Chocolate

Directions:
Wash strawberries and pat dry with paper towel.
Remove stem from berries and core the center of each berry. Be careful to leave bottom in tact.
Fill a ziplock baggie with the cheesecake filling and squeeze filling into each berry.
Melt dipping chocolate (in microwave-safe bowl at 30-second increments until chocolate is smooth and creamy.
Dip strawberries to cover about 3/4 of the berry and place on small baking sheet lined with wax paper.
Fill a second plastic bag with chocolate (regular or white) and drizzle to create design.
Chill - but set out to room temp before serving.
You can store these in a sealed container in refrigerator.

Happy cooking!

No comments: