Friday, May 2, 2008

Today I am Thankful for ...

My Parents.

"There are . . . millions of [young people] whose lives are like smoking candles from which the flame has been blown . . . . They are the bitter fruit of broken families and fractured homes. Most of them have no fathers of whom they know. In my judgment the greatest challenge facing this nation is the problem of the family, brought on by misguided parents and resulting in misguided children . . . . The family is the primary unit of society. I believe it was designed by the Almighty. A nation will rise no higher than the strength of its families." - President Gordon B. Hinckley

I have decided that I really am lucky to be who I am and to have been born and raised in the family I was.

In this screwed up world that we live in I am glad that my parents taught me values and the difference between right and wrong and then trusted me enough to make the right decisions. I'm grateful for my older sibling who made life mistakes before me so I didn't have to and I could learn from their examples of what to do and what not to do. I'm glad that I have a well rounded family life and though it my be a little skewed and "dysfunctional" to others we have all grown up and we can get along now (for the most part) and we're better friends with each other now then we ever were and we enjoy spending time together. I'm grateful for the example of love that my parents have shown. I'm glad that they still hold hands and show affection for one another. I'm glad that even though marriage isn't perfect that they work together to make each other happy and to make sure that us kids are watched out for. I consider myself lucky to be a member of my family.

 

No comments: